Chapter XI

The door opened to a whiff of humidity

The door opened to a whiff of humidity. As if being on this Island was not humid enough, I almost suffocated, my skin starting to glow with sweat.

My eyes caught sight of the spacious thermae. It looked absolutely stunning. Rich white tiles lined the aqua colored pool at the center. My urge to wash up and jump into the pool grew more and more.

"Ah, Azure!" I snap back into reality and my eyes fall on Eric. My eyes fall on Eric, literally. Eric in the middle of the pool, surrounded by the aqua blue water, the same water I just desired I couldve dipped in seconds ago.
I wish I just looked him in the eyes and slipped past a growing tension in the air, but I stupidly managed to poke holes into his sculpted abdomen.
Stupid!

As if Eric sensed something he smiled and emerged before me, and covered up with the towel offered by Grimsby. Is he aware of himself right now? Is he even well?

I had to break the growing air between us "I believe...I believe you wanted to see me?" I inquire him as I move my attention back to the water.
Water never seemed more interesting, more interesting than the sight of Eric towering before me.

What is with me? I saw him wet the other day, why cannot I maintain my composure?

"I wanted to see you..." My eyes snap to his. He said it like he meant it. Meant it differently than the way Lashanda explained. At that, Lashanda, Grimsby, and absolutely everyone else left the bath. My heart beat faster for reasons ver well known.
Eric caught his tone, cleared his throat and covered up more than before as if he has become highly aware of what lays in between us.

"I called for you to offer you a proposition" He tells me as he walks over to one of the many deck chairs lined by the pool. I am left glued in my place.
"Please Azure" he motions to the chair next to him and I oblige.

"Whats your proposition?" He smiles at my approach to know more. "I know you are highly keen on adventure...You are one of so little who appreciates the exploration of uncharted waters" I smile at his observation "For that I leave soon for an expedition, and I request you come with me, as my second in command" he tilts his head at me, waiting for an answer.

I, a second in command to Eric's uncharted water exploration? I couldn't say no. The idea has everything I could ever want. I think back to the smooth persuasion and my hearts tightens about how easy of a life I grew here, so far from home. I think back to my father...
"Azure...?" I snap back into reality once again
"Yes! That is heavily wonderful Eric" he claps his hands and stands up "We'll leave as soon as next dawn strikes" He looks back at me.

I am well aware of the bittersweet expression hugging my face. "What is the matter?" He asks me, gearing a more serious expression.

I remember how my father taught me to never agree out of heart, and to actually take things the way rulers deal with politics and agreement. I reckon more proper agreement, so I am not cheated. Eric would never do that to me, but for my father and country, I must abide to protocol. It is my instinct.

"I believe we shall agree in proper" I sounded like my father. Eric's eyes gleam with amusement and curiosity. "I respect you Consideration Azure" he nods, impressed. "Grimsby" Eric calls for Grimsby from the other side of the door whilst his eyes are still on mine.
Grimsby enters in haste "Yes sire"

"Grimsby I believe you have another accord you must oversee today" Grimsby looks at Eric and myself. "Kindly witness mine and Azure's settlement"
"Sire?"
"Azure and I shall agree to entertain a dual rank during tomorrow's voyage. She shall be my right hand and I, her captain..." He smirks, so infuriating. Grimsby nods his head "I witness this agreement to be enriched in duty and honor?" I nod in agreement.
"I agree to no harm and foul on both ends" I say and Eric nods, extending his hand for me to shake. I extend my hand into his, and nothing about this hand shake felt political or formal. My hand felt cocooned and attended by his colossal ones.

"Azure, you show proper knowledge of diplomacy and order" Eric lighty squeezes my hand "She very well does sire" Grimsby agrees.
Oh to have actually been born into a world of your speculation.
As if shrugging my shoulders is enough to kill off their notion "I read a lot..." I tell them, and my soul itches at the growing list of lies I have shared with Eric up to this moment.