Chapter 2

Anuradha
16 years old

I wake up around 4 in the morning and see Dadi ma sleeping peacefully. I feel ache in my body but I ignore it. Getting ready for the day, I take bath and do Puja. Then go to kitchen to prepare breakfast for my family. As the sun rises my Ma ji (mother-in-law), father-in-law, Dadi ma wakes up and I give them tea.

"Chai bohot acchi bani hai" my father in law praises me and it makes me smile.
(Tea is very good)

My husband and his little brothers Aarav (12) and Ansh (10) get ready for school. I also wanted to go to school but Ma ji said that girl's world lies within her family. I don't like to upset her so I didn't ask her anymore questions.

"Bahu, khana bann gaya ho toh dede. Baccho ko school ke liye deri horahi hai"  Ma ji shouted and I hurriedly packed lunch boxes for all three of them and while adjusting my pallu, I ran out of kitchen to hand them over. My husband was standing on the main door impatiently. He always has this angry look on his face. I give him the lunch box and our hands brush. I blush at this touch. He takes a look at me and goes away without saying anything.
(Daughter in law, if the food is ready then give it. Children are getting late for school)

I would be lying if I say didn't like my husband. My husband is the most handsome man I have laid my eyes upon. When I was younger I used to follow him around to get his attention. I have heard him laugh with his brothers and let me tell you he has the most beautiful laugh. I continue my rest of the household work. When I feel the pain and recognize it. My periods started. I go inside my room and securely wrap a cloth. I still remember the day when this happened and I was so afraid that I was going to die. Ma ji then explained me that it is a part of becoming a woman. I have noticed some body changes too. I have gained some weight and curves. During my periods Ma ji doesn't allow me to enter our kitchen and mandir. Ma ji prepares food and maids help in the house work as Ma ji doesn't like them cooking food. I am usually left alone in the room and not allowed to go out. I have to sleep on the floor as Ma ji says not to sleep on bed during this time. I sit on the floor holding my stomach as it hurts so much.

Shiv
18 years old
1 week later

I come back to house early as I just had my exam. I go inside and find nobody in the verandah. So I go to kitchen but again find nobody. Walking to the back of our house, I see Anuradha washing clothes. She has her saree tucked inside her waist. Looking at her makes me realise how much she has changed. She has taken the house responsibilities very nicely. Here I am also talking about the changes in her body. I would be lying if i say that I didn't feel attracted to her.

Sensing my presence she looks up and immediately stands up untucking her pallu and keeping it on her head. She is cute.

"Sab kaha hai?" I ask keeping my face straight.
(Where is everyone?)

"Wo ma ji aur dadi ma pados wali mausi ke ghar gye hai kirtan mei" she replies meekly.
(Mother in law and Grandmother, both went to our neighbor's house)

"Thik hai. Mujhe bhook lagi hai khana laga do" I say and turn around.
(OK. I am hungry. Bring me food)

"Ji"
(Ok)