Nine

"Goodbye, Esmae, I hope to see you next time," Nikolaos' mother said, a beaming smile on her face. Esmae returned her emotions and waved goodbye: "Bye-bye," she whispered, blush covering her warm skin.

During the past two hours since Nikolaos' parents visited him, Esmae and Evangelia became closer than ever. Nikolaos' mother found Esmae quite weird at first because of her quiet and timid nature, but she soon found her adorable and doted on her, teaching her how to make her son's favorite Greek dessert.

Esmae began having fun with Evangelia as well, learning new things each second, her mind exploding with wonder and surprise at each step. She giggled to herself when she played with the sticky dough before forming them into small circles.

She was amazed at Evangelia's ability to easily dip them into the hot oil with no fear of it splashing on her. She looked like a professional at work.

Esmae had a new flavor she enjoyed: honey. They glazed the loukoumádes with honey after it was done and she had the chance to taste some for herself, loving the sugary sweet flavor that made her heart leap with joy.

She was sad to see the two humans leaving, loving the warm company they brought with them. She understood why Nikolaos seemed so down when they left a month ago. She didn't know when they would see each other again.

Nikolaos closed the door when his parents walked away to their car and turned Esmae's saddened figure away from the oak door, leading her to the dining area. She sat down heavily in the chair, laying her cheek on the table and looking at Nikolaos who walked around the kitchen, popping a loukoumádes in his mouth, humming with satisfaction.

"Are you sad they left?" Nikolaos asked, noticing Esmae's downed mood. She nodded, her cheek rubbing against the wooden table, and grunted, a pout landing on her lips.

"Why?" she asked, her voice faint.

"Why did they leave?" Nikolaos turned to the woman who nodded in return. "Well, they don't live here. They have their own home."

"Why?"

A chuckle left Nikolaos' lips. "I used to live with them when I was younger, but when I became an adult and graduated from high school, I decided to live on my own."

"Why?"

"Because ... while living with my parents is nice, I prefer my own space." His voice dwindled as he spoke, not knowing how to explain the complex relationship he had with his parents to the young woman who didn't know what a mixing bowl was moments before.

Esmae noticed the change in his mood and decided to not ask why again, fearing that she would do the opposite of what she intended. What she didn't know was that Nikolaos didn't mind explaining his personal situation to the woman. He just didn't know how to put it into words that she would understand.

Unlike everyone else, she wouldn't hold prejudice or bias against him because she had no clue what any of those things were. She couldn't hate others or judge them for their decisions because she could never fully understand them; she only became a human yesterday after all.

"Do you like it?" she asked, turning to the loukoumádes she made with Nikolaos' mother. Hopefully, they would cheer him up.

He glanced at the plate piled with the treat, a soft smile filled with nostalgia replacing the stiff mood he bore before. "I do. Thank you for helping my mother," he responded, carrying the plate to the dining table, so they could eat together.

Esmae smiled with satisfaction, raising her head from the table, and humming. She always hummed the same tune when she felt accomplished with what she'd done, and Nikolaos wanted to know where it came from, but he never asked.