Thirty Five

Hello everyone! I'm super sorry for the inconsistent uploads this past month :( Beginning today, I'll be posting more consistently, so please stay tuned for weekly chapters.

Thank you for all the comments too! I love reading your kind words and thoughts about my writing. It brightens my days <3

Humans traveled in drones to the different flight gates. Nikolaos and Esmae included.

They all wheeled their suitcases to their respective gates, some only glancing at the number before immediately turning around and heading to find food. Others sat at their gate, waiting for their flight to take off soon.

The same went for the man and the leaf. Holding her hand, Nikolaos led Esmae to the gate their first-class flight was in, and the dryad glanced at the humans waiting as well. They wore expensive yet subtle accessories and clothing items as they took calls or ate a quick snack. Nikolaos and Esmae were similar to them, but since Esmae didn't understand the value of money or the dynamics between economic classes, she didn't notice it.

She sat down with Nikolaos' carry-on bag in her lap. She fought to carry it; it was a way of making his tension ease because despite already passing through security measures, Nikolaos still paced around, his expression stoic and cold – a complete contrast to how he felt inside.

"Niko, sit down," Esmae said kindly, patting the seat beside her. The man was standing in front of her, running his hand through her hair as he checked his phone for any important messages from friends or family before turning it off.

He glanced at Esmae, his striking blue eyes calming when he saw her soft face. He let out a breath and listened to her words, sitting down beside her, his hand still running through her hair. "Why are you anxious?" she asked, turning to him and holding his free hand. Concern littered her face at the thought.

Nikolaos would have told her why, but he knew his answer would only make her worry further. What he had done was highly illegal and selfish, even if Esmae had not a single thought of harm in her mind. Yet, even as he continuously reminded himself of this, he couldn't help but justify his actions.

It was for her happiness, her freedom, her smile.

It was only when he committed the act did Nikolaos truly realize how deep he'd fallen for the oblivious leaf who spoke to plants as if they still understood her. He loved her on a level that couldn't be explained with simple words. He finally understood what the phrase meant and stood by it each waking and sleeping moment as he thought about her.

Esmae Mutas. His leaf.

"It's nothing, glykiá mou" he said, kissing the back of her hand and smiling softly. Unlike all the other times, Nikolaos didn't come up with an excuse. He'd already lied far too much and any more would have him feeling more guilty than he already felt.

Esmae stared at him for a while longer, trying to decipher his worries, but seeing that he wouldn't tell her, she let it go. She was curious, but she wouldn't push; there were secrets that she hid from Nikolaos too. It wouldn't be fair to demand him to share what was on his mind.

"...Okay." Putting a smile on her face, Esmae continued holding his hand and glancing around the airport, watching the other humans as they reached their correct flight gate. Some began to board their flights while others seemed to have been waiting for nearly half an hour.

She slowly grew distracted as she observed the humans around her and her body shifted into a zone of complete relaxation and stillness. Like a leaf would.