Forty Five

It was still quite early in the morning when Esmae was woken by Nikolaos. Her eyelids lifted lightly as she blinked, the warmth of the sheets enveloping her entirely. A soft titter escaped her at the feeling of Nikolaos' gentle kisses on her cheek and temple. She wrapped her arms around him blindly, inviting all of his sweet kisses. His breath smelled like toothpaste.

"You showered," she commented, her voice hoarse and dry from the lack of water she loved so much. Nikolaos hummed in response, lightly nibbling on her cheek before nuzzling his nose in the base of her neck.

Citrus.

She always smelled like citrus.

"Esame," he called out quietly, raising his head from her neck and propping himself in his arms around his head so his weight didn't suffocate her. "Merry Christmas," he said with a smile, his hand reaching forth to rub the dryad's cheek.

He knew she'd been waiting for this day since she first watched The Polar Express. The leaf's eyes widened at the realization and a smile slowly crept onto her face.

Christmas. The day with gingerbread houses, thick stockings lining the fireplace, a large tree with beautifully blinking lights, and presents under the tree wrapped in colorful paper that can easily be torn to shreds. A day where the colors red, green, and gold reigned king. A day full of festivities like no other with a large feast, loud music, and even parades.

It was the one holiday Esmae enjoyed watching during her time as a leaf. It was when her fascination with humans and their lives first began.

"It's Christmas?" she asked for confirmation, her eyes sparkling with joy as her hands went from his back to his cheeks, holding Nikolaos' face before hers. A kiss was planted on her nose in response along with a deep, warm chuckle that reminded her of the chocolate she had last night.

"It is, glykiá mou," he replied, rubbing her sides and squeezing her waist gently, loving how soft it felt under his palm.

Esmae squealed with excitement and pat Nikolaos' cheeks lightly before sitting up in bed, simultaneously forcing Nikolaos to shift in his position as well. "Can we have hot chocolate?" was the next thing she asked, straddling Nikolaos' lap causally and keeping her hands on his face.

Hot chocolate. It was always hot chocolate.

"You'll get cavities if you consume so much sugar," Nikolaos commented, pinching her side lightly and making her squirm. "It's still early, but I wanted to spend some time with you before it grew crowded later today." His voice was so calm and acted as a soothing balm to Esmae's constantly drumming heart.

At his words, the dryad leaned to the side, looking at the glowing clock on the far end of the bedroom.

6:00.

Her vision was sharp.

"Oh," she whispered, tugging on her bottom lip with her teeth. A sigh left her as she rested her head on Nikolaos' shoulder, staying in his arms and enjoying his warmth. He was always so warm like a furnace.

Is this what baked bread feels like?

A random thought. Esmae had many.

The pair were quiet; Nikolaos rubbing Esmae's back up and down slowly, their breaths the only sounds in the room. Such silence felt eerie for others; isolating, anxiety-pending, and sometimes loud. But for these two, it was very different. For two individuals who were used to being alone – in the best and worst way possible respectively – silence in the embrace of another was comforting. Words didn't need to be said when their lives consisted of spurs of excitement and love mixed with the tranquil peace brought upon by one's presence.