Twenty Seven

It was freezing.

Esmae touched the window in the art studio, immediately retracting her hand when she felt the chill of the outside on her fingertips. She shivered.

Although it was a calm, autumn warmth the day before, the temperature plummeted through the night and suddenly, it was cold outside. Freezing.

Winter was coming soon, far sooner than Esmae anticipated. She frowned at the thought. Despite autumn being filled with the death of the leaves and the forest surrounding her, she quite liked it. It was definitely because she was with Nikolaos throughout it, and she didn't feel alone and isolated like she once did.

She was warm every day, ate good food, took hot baths each evening, and slept on a soft mattress, pillows, and a comforter every night with Nikolaos beside her. It couldn't get any better than that, and it made her extremely grateful for the life she had as a human.

Esmae sat by the massive windows, curled up in a large sweater and a long, thick skirt, her legs tucked beneath her chin as she rested her cheek on her knees. As she stared out the window, seeing slight frost on the glass, a soft knock sounded from the wall of the studio and Esmae turned back.

"Hey, glykiá mou," Nikolaos said in his deep, honeyed voice. He was wearing all black – as usual – and had his photography bag in his hand. He seemed ready to go out.

He doesn't have class today, Esmae thought. She memorized his schedule quickly after he started college again. It was unintentional and stemmed from her habit of observing everything around her. She noticed what many missed.

Nikolaos leaned on the wall, the ring on his finger hitting it softly. "I'm heading out soon to take a few pictures," he began, cracking a knuckle, "would you like to come with?"

Esmae glanced outside again, "It's cold." She played with the ends of her hair, curling them around her fingers.

"I know," Nikolaos let out a chuckle, "but, the cold does not care about how we feel and I, unfortunately, have pictures to submit soon." He caught onto her hesitant expression. "If you don't want to come, you can stay. I understand how much you don't like the weather right now."

The dryad bit her lips, unsure. "I... want to go... I think," she uttered, hugging her legs closer to her and playing with her toes. "Are you sure, glykiá mou?" Nikolaos' voice softened as did his expression after hearing her quiet voice.

She shook her head faintly and uncurled herself, standing up from the long seat by the window and walking to Nikolaos, her long skirt dragging against the ground. "I'm not very s-sure... but I think I should face my fears," she said, her voice wavering yet growing stronger as she spoke.

The man raised a brow and grinned slightly. "Face your fears?" She nodded, picking at her nail beds. "I... saw it in a horror m-movie." She glanced away, knowing Nikolaos didn't approve of her using social media as her source of guidance in life.

Nikolaos chuckled. "A horror movie, you say. Well, it seems you've been taught a good lesson." He ruffled her hair and grinned wider as her expression grew surprised.

He turned around and began walking away, heading to the main room in the cottage. Esmae followed after him, her bare feet pattering against the wooden floor. "Y-You said..." her accusing voice dwindled and she huffed at the man.

"Hm? What did I say?" Nikolaos encouraged her, his voice slightly strained from the laughter he attempted to hide as he glanced behind him.

"You said movies weren't real." She stopped a few steps away, peeking around Nikolaos when he stopped at the couch, watching as he arranged more camera gear.