𝟎𝟎𝟗

╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ACT ONEˊˎ-

╰┈➤ ❝ [𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟎𝟎𝟗] ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

୨⎯ "Did you hear that? " ⎯୧

ᵀʰʳᵉᵉ ᴹᵒⁿᵗʰˢ, ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵃ ʰᵃˡᶠ ʷᵉᵉᵏˢ ⁱⁿ

ᵀʰʳᵉᵉ ᴹᵒᵗʰˢ, ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ ʰᵃˡᶠ ʷᵉᵉᵏˢ

Gathered around the table, Madylin, Newt, Clint, Jeff, Mason, and Zart sat eating, their tense silence broken only by the clinking of silverware and the occasional murmured conversation. Madylin's heart was still racing from the close call earlier. Minho and the other runners had barely made it back in time before the walls closed, their faces dripping with sweat. It was a relief seeing them all jog in as everyone anxiously gathered around the entrance.

"We didn't have much time to explore, but we found something big," Mason explained.

Madylin's eyes widened in curiosity as she chewed on her food. "What did you find?"

"We discovered a new area, section Eight," Mason eagerly shared, "and we're planning to explore it first thing tomorrow."

"A new area?" Zart echoed.

"Mhm," Mason dragged, "Minho is in the Ma-"

"Mason!" Newt interrupted sharply, not wanting him to reveal any more information. Only the runners and leaders were allowed to know about the map room, and Newt had only found out about it during his time as a runner.

"Um, right..." Mason hesitated, carefully choosing his words.

As they finished their meal, they chatted easily about other discoveries from Mason's run that day. He loved being a runner - he and Minho were the only ones who actually enjoyed their job. The other boys only did it because they were voted for the position.

After dinner, everyone went off to do their nightly routines. Madylin made her way to the log seats by the bonfire where she pulled out her Cassette and started listening to music. She wanted to memorize the words to the songs that she once forgot.

Madylin suddenly felt someone sit down next to her. Her heart skipped a beat before she realized it was Newt settling next to her.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, sensing her tension. "I didn't mean to startle you."

Madylin forced a smile and shook her head. "It's okay." She couldn't help but feel anxious. Ever since the incident with that boy, she had been on edge and easily startled. Newt and the others had learned to be patient and gentle with her, knowing how much it affected her. Deep down, Madylin couldn't shake off the constant anxiety and paranoia. She knew she would never fully recover.