Chapter 7

I thudded the tenth book I looked through on the table and groaned. It was dark outside, so we were here for awhile, reading book after book. And yet, we haven't found anything. I rubbed my temples.

"Hey, don't give up. We might find something." Violet tried to reassure but I wasn't listening.

"This is hopeless!" I shouted. And didn't get shushed since we were the only people here, keeping the librarians from going home. Violet picked up a book with the title Voodoo Spells and Charms. I picked another one and started to read absentmindedly. But I did start thinking about that kid. My first victim if you will. He was really chubby and I called him "Rabbit" because of his light hair and buck teeth. The braces came along and "Fence Face" became a thing. I didn't really think anything of it until he didn't come back for the rest of the year and next year. Then I had an idea. It's him. It must be him. He must hate my guts for whatever mental breakdown he had. He didn't come back to school so I don't know where he is or who he is but I know it's him. I flipped to another page.

DIE! DIE! DIE!

Same red. Same scrawling. Then I felt something push my head down on the table with a smack. Then over and over and over. I felt something wet running to my ears. A headache was growing and something kept bashing my head harder and harder on the table. Violet's calls to me were muffled by the ringing in my ears. Then the same force pushed me back, sending the chair flying and me falling with a smack. I blacked out for a couple seconds. My vision was blurry when I came to but I saw Violet over me, shaking me. I sat up and held my head in my hands. More wetness. I looked. It was blood. And lots of it.

"Ferris! Ferris, what the hell happen? Was it the curse? Ferris, answer me!" she saw the blood dripping down my face. She looked horrified.

"We have to go. Now." She pulled me up. It was too fast and I wobbled, almost toppling down again. She helped me keep balance the rest of the way to the car. I placed myself in the passenger's seat, putting pressure on my forehead to stop the bleeding. Violet got in quickly and sped off to the hospital.

                                                                                     *

"Well Mr. McKing, it wasn't anything too serious, just a minor cut. It might leave a small scar and the bandages should be kept on for at least a month. But I need to know what happened for the report."

The doctor looked a me over his glasses with a pen in hand ready to write down whatever I say.

"Um...I ran face first into a wall really hard." I lied. Really, that was the best one I could come up with?

The doctor looked puzzled.

"Just...ran?" he asked.

"It was dark," Violet cut in, "We were running to get home because it was late and there was an old building with no lights on. It was in his path and he's a pretty fast runner." the doctor made note of that and put the pen in his pocket.

"Well, you should be more careful. Weren't you in recently for other injuries?" I blushed.

"Yeah. I'm a little accident prone." He chuckled and sent us off our way. When we were outside Violet whispered "Was it the curse?"

"What else would it be? First taunting me and now he wants to kill me? What else is he going to do? How is he doing it?" We both got in the car.

"Well the book I was reading actually gave a lot of clues to what's happening. There's this special kind of Voodoo Doll that, if done right, could not only control a person but give them severe bad luck. And the writing stuff? I think I found it too. It has instructions on how to make these special kind of paper that, like a Voodoo Doll, with DNA from target could survey messages from any papre they are in contact with."

"And the shadows?" I asked as she started the car.

"It might be astral projection but that I don't know." We road off into the night, with only a few stars and a half moon out. I set my head back onto the head rest and picked at the giant ass bandage on my forehead. I am totally skipping school until this heals.

"It's that kid." I whispered.

"What?"

"That kid. The one I sent off to somewhere Sophmore year.  It has to be him. Besides you, he was my main target." There was a silence.

"Well then let's stop him." she finally said. There was a buzz in my pocket. It was a text. I checked to see who it was. Serinna.

I want to break up