Memorial for the Elven Queen

Halls of the Elvenking, Mirkwood, 2956 TA, September 18

As twilight descended upon the Woodland Realm, a hush spread through the forest, its dappled light fading into the deep hues of evening. The elves, ever graceful and efficient in their ways, moved through their tasks with quiet dignity, their soft voices and nimble steps weaving a solemn air throughout the realm.

In the grand hall, an area had been tenderly arranged for a ceremony of parting. Skilled artisans, with hands as deft as the wind through leaves, crafted a bier from interlacing branches and fragrant blossoms. It was a beautiful homage, befitting the revered Elvenqueen. Her form, now lovingly prepared and adorned by the hands of Thranduil himself, awaited to be placed upon this bed of nature's artistry, encircled by the enchanting splendor of elven handiwork.

Legolas, having sought refuge in the sanctuary of the gardens after a poignant exchange with his father, stood amidst the vibrant flora. His eyes, usually alight with the spirited joy of the Greenwood, now mirrored the deep sorrow that welled within him. The loss of his mother, once a distant ache, had become a tangible grief, enveloping his heart like a shadow. Yet within him stirred a profound sense of duty, a need to honor her memory that rose above the torrents of his sorrow.

As the time for the ceremony drew near, a gentle voice broke his reverie. An elven maiden, her presence as light as a falling leaf, reminded him of the approaching hour. Legolas, with the weight of his thoughts still upon him, acknowledged her with a nod and a whispered word of gratitude.

Though already dressed in princely attire, he felt compelled to return to his chambers. There, he would ensure that his appearance reflected not only his royal heritage but also the deep respect and love he held for his mother. In this moment of solemn reflection, every detail mattered, for it was not only a farewell but a tribute to a life that had shaped his own.

Legolas, having meticulously ensured that his attire and bearing were befitting of the prince he was, emerged from his quarters. As he walked through the corridor near Xena's chamber, he found her there, a figure of strength and contemplation.

"The farewell ceremony is soon to commence," Legolas spoke to her, his voice a harmonious blend of the formal poise expected of his station and the underlying current of his grief.

Xena, her features etched with solemnity, acknowledged his words with a nod. "I shall attend," she responded, her voice resonating with a deep respect. She was keenly aware of the gravity of this elven rite, understanding its importance not only as a homage to the late Elvenqueen but also as a testament to the unexpected bond she had formed with these woodland folk.

To her astonishment, however, Legolas lingered, offering his arm in a gesture of escort. Xena, momentarily taken aback by this unexpected display of formality, hesitated. Though unaccustomed to such protocols, she did not wish to disrupt the sanctity of the day's proceedings, especially on an occasion as momentous as the memorial for the Elvenqueen.

"Are we now adhering to formalities?" she found herself questioning, her tone laced with a hint of disbelief. In the Woodland Realm, she had encountered many surprises, but this concern for ceremony seemed out of character for her.

Legolas regarded her with a slightly arched eyebrow, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Concerned with protocol now, are we, Xena?" he queried, his voice firm yet imbued with an underlying warmth. "Let me bear the burden of such worries. Your task is simply to follow." His words, though strict, carried an assurance, gently guiding her into the folds of elven custom.

As Legolas stood before Xena, he understood the gravity of the moment and the respect she was showing by not disputing the ceremonial customs. She gracefully took his arm, her gown whispering along the stone floors, and looked up at him. "Then it shall be upon your shoulders," she said softly, indicating her readiness to proceed.