(Chapter 4) History is cruel mistress

The breath I take goes nowhere

"I'll give you a minute with him and that's it," she turns and leaves me.

I get up immediately after, changing out of my sleepwear before setting off to his room. My stomach twists, packed with feelings I chose to ignore.

Fear is the mind killer.

Paul is asleep soundly on his stomach, his face a portrait of peace, something I know wasn't going to last very long.

Crouching, I run my hand through his soft hair, pushing it back from his eyes.

Fear is the little death...

He shifted under my touch, turning onto his back and I could sense him falling deeper into sleep.

"Paul," Standing, I kneel on the edge of the bed, hovering over him. My hair falls over my shoulder, wavy from the braids and dragging across his naked chest. It needed to be cut. "Paul, wake up,"

"Hm?" Slowly, his eyes fluttered until they opened and met mine.

"Get up and get dressed,"

I stand and move to his armoire, pulling out the neatly folded formal where on the nearest shelf.

"Femi, what's going on?" He groans, sitting up. The light from the glowglobe creates a shadow of his figure as he sits up.

Turning, I walk towards the bed holding out my hands. He takes them and I pull him towards me and up off the bed.

"I'll tell you after you get dressed,"

Backtracking, I take him with me to the changing screen next to his closet then pass him the clothes.

"What time is?" He mumbles as he gets dressed slowly.

"Early,"

"How early?"

"Early."

He sighed noisily within no time he was out from behind the screen, fully dressed. "Now, will you tell me what's this about?"

I don't speak as he approaches me, unsure how to start. I find myself focusing on fixing his collar, the action easing my nerves.

"I have not been honest with you, not entirely," I swallow, my throat feeling dry. "Not about my visit with my Reverend Mother. "

"I know,"

Cupping his cheek, I take a deep breath. "No, you don't."

"Tell me then," he breathes leaning into my touch.

I want to, but Paul has a temper that speaks for itself. "If I do now, you'll fail the test."

"What test?"

Dropping my hands, I take his again, squeezing lightly hoping for the strength. "Just know that whatever she shows you, I promise it's not what it looks like and I will explain if you give me the chance."