(Chapter 11) In the age of icons

It takes a second glance to realize that the woman I'm looking at is not Meia

Though she shares Meia's caramel brown eyes, pointed nose and full lips, as she struts into the light of the fire— I see blonde hair peeking from beneath her hood.

"Well well," she drawls stopping before me, dropping to a crouch beyond the fire. "Aren't you gonna greet your aunt Serice?"

Twins. Meia did mention she had siblings but she never once specified and now I'm staring at the woman with her face— a wicked grin and a dagger, encrusted with red and gold jewels.

My vision... it wasn't Meia. It was her.

"Oh, right," her pointed gaze goes to my gag.

Bitch.

She rises and moves over to Catori, looking between her and Alyce. "I know the Yueh said the redhead was my sister's partner. Who's the extra?" She glances back at the Harkonnens soldiers.

Yueh. I should've known something was off when I sensed his turmoil.

"Your sister's daughter, Mistress," the soldier on the left answers.

Meia's twin— Serice glances over to me then back to Catori. "Then who is this?" She points her blade at me.

"Your sister's daughter as well, Mistress," the same soldier answered. "The doctor mentioned two witch-born daughters."

It only takes a second to realize they didn't know who I was. And she...Serice had guessed it at first but she wasn't a hundred per cent sure.

For some reason, Yueh had lied and said Meia mothered both Catori and me and he never gave any description but even if he did; I could see how one could mistake us.

Catori was tan in complexion like me, with dark hair— only her bangs were wavy and curtain cut. Mines were blunt and fell over my forehead and despite being older than me, she actually looked younger. Our eyes were the only thing to truly set us apart— she had light brown eyes, like the sands of Arrakis. Mines were darker, more brown than gold.

Serice whirls on them and I take the opportunity to glance at Catori, who's already looking at me, seemingly picking up on the same thing.

"Which is the one you found in the Atreides's boy room?"

The soldiers share a glance, "Both, Mistress."

My brows furrowed.

"Collent was sent to the son's room but he was dead when I got there and both girls were there out cold." The same soldier spoke and my eyes jumped to his other companion.

At first, I thought he was deaf but by the way his eyes tracked the conversation and studied us, I knew he wasn't. He was the observer and those were the dangerous ones— those were the ones you took down first.