(Chapter 6) Visions of Arrakis

I squinted against the sunlight of Arrakis as the ship's shield rose and the rays broke in

Breathe in. Hold.

I exhaled when the winds came with grains of sand and spice melange; ripping through the sheer material covering the lower half of my face and the tail on my dress though never fully touching me or anyone protected by a Holtzman shield.

The first step on this planet made my stomach sink like rocks in water. I nervously palm the side of my left thigh feeling the imprint of my blade there hoping that it would help me breathe a little better.

My eyes moved to the neighbouring heighliner Paul and his family were exiting. Seeing as I wasn't a part of the family, I had to travel with the service staff. Out of pure reflex, my eyes sought him out first and predictably enough his eyes were already on me. He averted his gaze after a minute as did I, continuing to the Ornithopters that would take us to the palace.

My gaze moves to the once stationary crowd of Fremen who had garter to watch our arrival, now restless and clamouring against each other, shouting, "Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib!"

The volume rose swiftly and a second later, it was a full-on chant. "Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib!"

"Atreides! Atreides! Atreides! Atreides! Atreides! Atreides!"

My eyes whip to the soldiers in formation, blades lifted to the skies. Their chants clashed and it felt like my heart was beating to the sounds.

"Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib! Lisan al-Gaib!"

"Atreides! Atreides! Atreides!"

My vision doubles and I feel myself stumble forward but catch myself as a memory of me in a bathtub and Paul facing me on a stool surface.

"What is The One?"

"I think, you should speak with Jessica about this."

"I'm asking you."

It came so suddenly and was gone within the next second that I knew it wasn't me reminiscing. It was a vision and it wasn't often that I got them, but there was spice in the air and while I couldn't feel or taste it, I could still smell it; orange juice and cinnamon.

I wasn't always sure of the reason behind my vision, Meia always said they come at random but I didn't always believe her. Visions always have a purpose and meaning though I did believe this one came at random. Lisan al-Gaib was the Fremen word for Messiah, a name I'd deliberately called Paul when I was explaining 'The One' to him in my bathtub, in that same memory.

Another one assaults me as I take my seat and buckle myself in.

"They were pointing at us. What are they shouting?"