(Chapter 7) Divine feminine

My dress is indecent but not

Made to tempt, Meia says when she saw me in it.

The bodice is tailored to my waist with sheer material over nude fabric to not make it too indecent. Intricate lines ran in a pattern at my abdomen up to the cups of the top. Two of those intricate lines ran from the back of the dress to the front and up to my neck, securing the thick material choker. The skirt was pure sheer fabric that fell darker from my waist to my upper thigh and then lighter down to my feet. My height was not aided with any heeled sandals, sticking with flat sandals; black with straps that went around my leg and were tied at the back of my calf.

Because the dress was sleeveless, Jessica had added sheer pattern gloves that came up to my biceps, where a sliver arm cuff snake was stationed to give the style a more classy look, she'd said and paired it with a face mask of dangling silver chains that ran across my nose, fell against my lower face and is connected to the up-do half of my hair; the other half was curled and my bangs straightened.

It had gotten taller, now the strands shifted with every blink, brushing kohl-lined eyes. Even though my eyes were naturally dark Alyce figured they'd be better more darker.

By 'better' I believe she meant more enticing. To who? I'm going out on a limb and say for Paul, even though I know I didn't need to dress up to get his attention and despite what Jessica said about me keeping my distance; I wasn't the only one.

Paul was still keeping his distance and after Jessica tried and failed to manipulate me to make the first move, I was now dressed 'to tempt' as Meia mentioned and I didn't know how to feel about that.

Okay, if I'm being honest, I didn't have a problem with being used to tempt him because I wanted to. I wanted his attention, wanted him to hold me like the last time, play with my hair whenever I'd read to him.

I wanted it to be like old times despite knowing it would never be.

"Smile,"

Immediately, my lips pull up at the corners causing Duncan to chuckle, roughly. "Can you at least pretend to have fun?"

"I am having fun," my voice is all fake cheer causing the Commander to roll his eyes.

The great hall of the newly and discreetly decorated Arrakeen palace is dimly lit with lamps from the wall and ceiling giving the atmosphere a comfortable feel.

The space is semi-packed with guests: members from different houses around the galaxy aimlessly chatting amongst themselves whether sitting at a table or standing in groups, jewellery-clad hands holding glasses of wine, water or juice; servers moving amongst them offering a variety of drinks and finger foods.

I watch them all from the corner next to the entrance to the hall. I didn't like parties and had always attended them for Paul's benefit. He also didn't like parties but as a Ducal Heir, there wasn't much he couldn't say no to.