Chapter 27 - Into the Forgotten Abyss

In the secret chamber of the celestial palace, where the lifeless body of Bakabali rested in absolute tranquility, Lazrael slowly opens the corresponding door.

"Your majesty," he said as he observed Tarnael looking at Bakabali and the severed arm of Edinborghia attached to the tube containing the latter's body.

"Lazrael. I haven't seen you for days. Can you give me an explanation of what you've been doing all this time?" asked Tarnael with authority, not turning his head toward Lazrael but keeping his gaze directly on Bakabali's lifeless body.

"I have been somewhat occupied with other cities of our nation, your majesty. They have sought scientific assistance in all the areas where I specialize. Apparently, my expertise is highly valuable," Lazrael said as he fully closed the door.

"You mean, my nation?" asked Tarnael at that moment.

"What do you mean by that?" Lazrael asked, slightly taken aback by Tarnael's question.

"Do you think I'm a fool, the mad demon scientist, Lazrael?" Tarnael said, turning his head towards the latter with a threatening gaze.

"Your majesty, I don't understand-"

"You understood my very well; there's no need to play the fool. It doesn't suit you, even if you want it to. Your pronounced absence of wit makes the unraveling of your unworthy disguise quite possible," Tarnael said as he approached Lazrael with measured steps.

"Because I don't possess as much lapis as you do your majesty, it might be challenging for you to notice," Lazrael said with a slightly trembling tone.

Tarnael approached him even more. Lazrael was unsure how to react to Tarnael's looming approach—whether to retreat or stand his ground, he remained in place, bewildered.

"Lazrael, reveal your true identity. I know you are collaborating with Aldes and Atbara, not to mention that you have killed General Igorus Friola's brother," Tarnael said as he stopped in front of Lazrael's eyes.

At that moment, several faint portals appeared around Lazrael, who became visibly alarmed beyond measure.

"I have eyes and ears everywhere. Nothing escapes me. Perhaps the question arises: why didn't the general kill the infamous defender duo of the forest, the notorious evil duo at his fingertips? I saved you by manipulating the strings of my feathers inside his lifeless body, Lazrael, after you killed his brother. I think this reveals a lot," Tarnael said with a sinister smirk.

Lazrael's bewilderment transcended the usual bounds, his features etched with a mix of shock and disbelief as he grappled with the revelations laid bare before him.

"You've pretended all this time that you knew nothing, and yet you've continued to act behind the scenes?" Lazrael asked, determined, as the realization dawned that nothing could be concealed at that moment.

The portals vanished, leaving Tarnael alone facing Lazrael.

"You serve my purpose, Lazrael. Since you've adapted almost perfectly to my kingdom, you can do anything that falls within my interests. Eat, drink, sleep, engage in intimate activities, assist with Bakabali, but you will be confined within this room. This act of yours is starting to displease me, those severed locks of hair, perhaps from a slave worth not even 100 grams of salt. Let me tell you something, Lazrael. Angels can be more devious than demons," Tarnael said as he walked past Lazrael, who observed Bakabalin swimming in the green liquid inside the tube, completely oblivious to the reality outside that shield.