Chapter Seven, Vol 1

As the sun disappeared from the horizon, I looked down from the roof. The field was filled with hundreds of those students, who continued to wander while giving out a constant agonizing moan.

I turned over to Kurumi, who had curled herself up close to the corner with a shovel beside her and a body covered up with a white sheet. We had remained up here for about 2 hours. Survival was possible, but only for the short term.

I looked at Sakura, one hand on her phone while the other rubbed over Yuki's back as she rested her head over the railing, sobbing. Yuuri placed her hand over Yuki's shoulder, attempting to help Sakura comfort Yuki while she continued to try to contact help to no avail.

Sakura walked away from Yuki, her phone planted close to her ears as she waited. After a few seconds, Sakura lowered her phone out of frustration, prompting me to approach her as she stuffed her phone back into her pockets.

"We can't risk staying on this roof for too long. The weather won't be in our favor..."

"This should all blow over tomorrow, right?" Sakura whispered to me.

"Much of the Self Defence Force is overseas and I have a good feeling whatever is happening is international"

"What are you inferring, Tanaka-kun?"

"This'll last more than a few days. My best bet is for a few weeks until somebody comes over and rescues us"

"Are you sure we could hold out that long? Especially regarding some of the girls like Yuki-chan"

I looked over at Yuki, her hands covering her eyes as she continued her sobbing.

"We'll make it"

A quiet ringtone came from Yuki, making us look over at her. Yuki quickly reached for her phone in her pocket, placing it close to her ear.

"Mom!" Yuki shouted in joyful relief as she jumped up and down with the phone.

Sakura ran over to Yuki, and I followed suit.

"Yes, Mom! I'm alright! I'm at the school rooftop with a few other students with me"

We all looked at each other as Yuki listened through the phone, her face still in joyful excitement, almost ignorant of the threat still close to us.

"Where are you? Is Dad safe?"

Yuuri and Sakura stood close to Yuki, their faces equally worried.

"Mom... slow down. I can't hear anything"

I stepped towards the group, hearing a crackling sound through the call's speakers, followed by something inaudible. As I stood close to Yuuri, a sudden scream came through the call, followed by a disconnect.

"Mom? Mom!" Yuki looked at her phone, ignorant of her hands trembling. She looked up at Sakura, who had her hands over her mouth in shock after hearing the scream.

"If you don't mind asking, where are they?" I asked,

"Shinmachi Local Park"

"They should be under military protection. Don't worry about it"

A sudden sonic boom made us flinch down, with multiple large figures flying over us at breakneck speed. Staring at the figures, with the green dot illuminating its presence, they flew off into the horizon, disappearing through the plume of smoke.

"Speak of the devil-"

A second boom made us flinch again, as a fiery explosion filled the outskirts of the city in almost complete unison, lighting up the sky with another wave of napalm and destruction across the streets.