Chapter Fourteen, Vol 1

Yesterday, I was wide awake at 5 AM.

I'm adaptable to most surfaces believe it or not. So this came as a surprise to me. Perhaps I had this issue a week ago, so I compensated by sleeping at midnight. Didn't work but at least the issue disappeared until now.

Perhaps it was guilt.

I had a responsibility as a Council President, even if I merely used the role as a way to ensure I'd gain the best college possible. The school values were to my advantage after all. And even with that out of the question in our circumstances, morals are still applicable.

I tend to wonder what could've happened if I had tried to save the students from the field instead of calling for an ambulance. If we had at least a post-apocalyptic society of almost 200 students. Compared to where we are now.

Everyone in the 'club' has a role, with one notable exception of course. But I've decided that Yuki wouldn't be much of an issue.

I'll admit, recently Yuki had been passing by my office and checking up on me. At first, I thought Yuuri distrusted what I was doing loitering inside my own office, but I later just dismissed it as Yuki being bored.

I got up from my couch, wearing my school blazer. I hadn't washed it in a while, mainly because when I had the time to, Yuki or Yuuri was already using it.

It's partially my fault, to be honest. Constantly writing 'science reports' and contingencies as a hobby to make up for the fact that Kurumi had stolen my role as the scavenger of the group.

At this point, I might as well let her or Yuuri take the planning part of my

role. I did push her confidence after all.

The sun hadn't gone out by then, so I had to contend with using a small lighter in conjunction with the moonlight to navigate my way. Once I reached the rooftop, I rested my arm over the nearby fence.

Jeez, there's so many of them...

I haven't been watching the outside world on the rooftop since day one. Despite the zombies being mindless creatures, their impact had caused quite the damage around. It was a relief we weren't close to any power plants, or else it'd be a different story.

At that moment, I couldn't help but grip my hair in frustration. We've been here for quite some time now.

It's genuinely screwing me up.

Not because of anyone or myself. But where we were. I've briefly watched zombie movies through the remaining cell towers that stood during the first day as a sort of practice. It was all action and violence.

Yet none of them gave the question of whether we would be able to cope with it.

Almost all of them had the main character adjust to this zombie-ish world as if it was like moving to a different country. It never made sense. I hated most of it, except for a specific Korean movie that briefly touched on the mental aspect of it.

The fatigue. The inability to do anything. I loved yet hated everything about it. Because it was relatable. Not in a metaphorical or deep sense, but just plain and simplistic.

Although I wish I could keep the message of perseverance to heart.

I realized that I had left my phone inside my couch this whole time, with the battery at a lucky 17%. Sure, I could charge it, but Yuuri has been using it to look up recipes for lunch and dinner. And the charger is in their room.

I rested my head over the railing, continuing to stare into the horde. Honestly, I was starting to get sick of everything. I couldn't understand why. Just how we lived in general. Our conditions.