FAMILY II

"Sokka?" Toph entered the hut where Sokka and some other Water Tribe warriors were sitting around a map.
Sokka was explaining something to the rest of them, a bit hesitant with his words, and paused when Toph arrived.

"Oh, Toph, come here." Sokka said, gesturing for Toph to come over.

Toph was somewhat surprised by the tone of his voice. 'Did he get over things that quickly?' She shook the thought out her head though, as she sensed something strange from the vibrations around where Sokka was sitting.

He was stressed, tense, yet distant.

Toph sat down in front of Sokka, "You know I can't see what's on the paper, right?"

"I know. Can I see your hand for a moment?" Sokka asked.

Toph shrugged and held out her hand, allowing Sokka to draw what Toph recognized as the shape of Chameleon Bay. He made sure to carefully use his fingernails to create the invisible replica of the bay, so the vibrations would linger long enough for Toph to "see" everything.

"The Fire Nation is probably going to come after us, since we didn't really hide while flying on Appa. But that's a good thing." Sokka traced the shape of the bay on her hand again,

"If we capture one of their ships and use it as a cover, we won't have to worry about hiding for a while. Thing is, we need to be extremely cautious so the other, if any, Fire Nation soldiers don't notice."

"And that's where I come in?" Toph asked.

"Exactly. You'll act as our eyes and ears while we capture the ship." He drew the bay again, this time adding a circle to one of it's edges,

"This is where we'll be gathered. You'll have to make a passage within the plateau for us to enter one of the ships. We might have to go into land under water, but I doubt it, since there's only one opening the Fire Nation could dock their ships in." Sokka explained.

Toph's eyes widened a bit. "It hasn't even been two hours and you've already come up with all of that?"

"Yeah. We need a place to hide Aang, and we need a place of refuge until he's back up again." He said.

"I still have more to think about, but for taking over the ship, you, Katara, my dad, and a few of the warriors, will sneakily bind the people on board together and throw them out the ship once we get it going."

"...Are you... Y'know..." Toph muttered, slowly taking her hand away from Sokka's.

"Am I what?" Sokka questioned. He unintentionally spoke with a slightly intimidating voice, and quickly cleared his throat, apologizing.

"...Are you okay? I mean, it's good to have a plan for all this, but I feel like you're... I dunno... Not allowing yourself to mour-"

Sokka raised on of his hands and shook his head, "No, I'm fine. I got the tears out my system back there. Right now, I want to focus on this."

Toph scanned Sokka for a moment. He wasn't lying, and although he seemed a bit distant, she could tell he wasn't trying to shove aside his feelings.

She let out a sigh of slight relief, "Right, you've always been a more strategy-planning guy. But..."

...There was something kindling within Sokka. She hadn't sensed it from him before. Actually, she only knew what it was... Because of you.

Determination.

But yours was purer than what was going on in Sokka's head. Toph speedily put two and two together and realized what was up.

Revenge.