Sixteen

As the walls crashed down, I felt it slip away
Because I went to hell and back just to be where
I am today
——————

"Oh fuck. Odette, you good?"

I gasped for air, choking on what smoke had settled into my lungs as I laid on my back.

"Dette," Rooster called again, kneeling next to me as he took my helmet off. "What the fuck was that?"

"I'm fine," I choked.

As I looked over, I saw a fire being extinguished at my jet and I frowned deeply.

"What happened? Why would you land if your gears weren't down?" Bradley questioned.

"They were down. I swear they were."

"Is being back too much for you?" Phoenix asked as she ran out to where I sat just off of the side of the runway.

"I swear, I'm fine. I don't know what happened."

Bradley began to gather my parachute before offering his hand to me.

"C'mon, let's go get you checked out," he sighed. "You scared me half to death, Odette."

I grabbed his hand and he pulled me to my feet. I took a moment to steady myself before detaching my parachute from myself.

Before I could make it inside, Admiral Simpson met us at the doorway.

"What the hell was that, Kazansky?" He questioned. "What happened?"

"I don't know, sir. Everything showed that my gears were down and I was ready to land," I replied, coughing once more. "It all happened so fast."

"Are you okay?" He questioned, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I, uh. I think so," I choked out, the smoke getting to me.

Before either of us could say another word, a helicopter had come in for landing to fly me across the bay to the Naval Medical Center to be examined.

"You know the drill," Admiral Simpson sighed as we both watched the helicopter land.

Unfortunately for me, the pilot for that helicopter was none other than my own brother and once it had landed, he was quick to jump out.

"This you??" Oliver asked, gesturing to my jet that was now nothing more than a useless pile of debris. "What the hell happened?"

I nodded with a sigh, knowing that he was about to tell my parents everything. I knew my dad would have to find out and that Admiral Simpson and Mav were obligated to tell him but I hated that anything had happened after Mav distinctly warned me against flying.

"Come on," he said, grabbing my arm and guiding me into the helicopter.

"I'm coming with you," Bradley shouted as he climbed into the helicopter right after Oliver and I.

We were quickly flown to the hospital and against my wishes, I was gurneyed from the roof to the triage room and immediately put on oxygen once I was worked up. Once I was seen, I was left to wait for the doctor with Bradley in awkward silence.

"You really don't have to be here," I grumbled to Bradley before placing the mask back on.

"Odette, come on. I'm your best friend. Of course I'm going to be here."

"I'm not sure that's the title I'd use for you right now."

"Are you serious? You forgave Jake so why can't you forgive me?" He questioned.