C H A P T E R T W E N T Y T W O

"Bloodsport, part two"

Damon's room felt empty without his laugh.

His body was covered with a white sheet. But the sheet couldn't conceal the smell of his body. His body being covered couldn't stop her heart from breaking.

Rue's world was balancing on the edge. Her eyes stung with tears and she couldn't say one sentence without crying. It was as if life was stuck on pause. How was she supposed to move forward? Three days ago they were planning a trip to Greece and now she has to plan a life without him. An enteral life.

Turning her emotions off would be the punk's way out. She took that route once before, and destruction followed her. Damon wouldn't want her to do that, although it was tempting.

Something gleamed in her eyes. The morning sun. The beginning of another day without him.

Gravity weighed on her as she forced herself out of the room. She shut the door behind her, leaning on the wood. Thick tears curve down her cheek, as she bit back a sob. If she was going to get through this, she can't fall apart, not completely.

But every step she took felt impossible. Rue gripped onto the stair railing, as her legs wobbled. Her lips began to quiver. She dropped down to the first step and hugged her body. She resembled a small child, and fragile as a dream.

Bonnie, Elena and Caroline appeared at the bottom of the steps. The three of them refused to go home. The three of them tread carefully up the steps, a somber look shining int heir eyes. Elena rested her head silently on Rue's shoulder, a few tears escape her eyes, as well. Caroline and Bonnie rested at her legs.

No words were said. No words could possible make this okay.

But they were going to be there for their friend, anyway.

The morning drifted into the afternoon. Bonnie and Elena took up the job to clean the Salvatore Crypt. Caroline was trying to get Rue to drink or even eat something. Meanwhile, Stefan was running around Mystic Falls preparing the funeral. He was trying his best to stay busy.

They didn't say it out loud, but being around Rue for a long period of time was too heart wrenching. She barely moved and didn't sleep or eat. Her eyes were tinted red, and her body curled as if her bones were hollow. Damon's death was killing her.

Elena dragged the broom across the floor of the crypt. Dust flew like fog, and spiders crept along the walls.

"Isn't it kind of creepy that we're hanging out with Stefan's dead parents?" Bonnie commented, trying to make Elena smile.

Elena only glanced at the two, old caskets in the middle of the crypt.

"Damon's gonna be placed beside them, soon," she said, roughly.

Bonnie gave her a look sympathy, as she stopped dusting.

"Elena..." she started. "I know we've all been comforting Rue and Stefan, but... you lost Damon, too."

Elena blinked back tears, her grip tightening on the broom stick.

"I can't lost what I never had."

"But you were at least friends at some point. Even a little bit more than friends. Either way, you two had history, so if you want to talk... I'm here, okay?"

Elena gave a her sad smile and nodded.

A knock on the crypt's threshold grabbed their attention.

A woman with thick, curly hair falling over her shoulders, and beaded jewelry decorating her neck and wrist. Her silky smooth, brown skin and soft, but intimidating, features sparked familiarity.