C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y F O U R

"Where the Monsters Hide"

━━━━━━・❪ 𓆩♡𓆪 ❫ ・━━━━━━

Rue jolts awake with a sharp gasp.

She grabbed the sheets, covering her naked chest. Her eyes dart through the dark room with panic. Her throat is dry and raw, and her heart pounded against her rib cage. The nerves under her skin were on fire, and she was ready to attack.

But the nightmare fluttered away as her eyes adjusted to reality. The screams echoed in her head like a haunted chime.

She saw their faces. Painted with crimson and marred by fear. Their pleads hurt her ears, but she kills them anyway. She saw their memories, their hopes, their dreams. Everything she stole from them.

"Another nightmare?"

Damon moaned awake, and lazily wraps his arm around her waist, bringing her back to him.

Rue sighed, blinking away tears.

"It was so real this time."

They adjusted their position. Damon's chest pressed against her back, as their bodies curled into each other, like a perfect fit.

"It's going to be hard," he mumbled. "But in ten years... time will start blur together and things would get easier."

"I feel guilty," she sniffed. "I—I feel guilty that I don't regret it. Does that make me a monster?"

Damon doesn't answer, until he shifted slightly, He propped himself on his elbow, looking down at her.

"Look at me."

Rue looked up at him, meeting his warm gaze.

"You are not unforgivable. You are not lost. I see a beautiful woman who's lost more than enough, and who loves with all of their heart and then some. A monster isn't capable of love."

He brushed a curl away form her face.

"Besides... we all deserve to go a little mad sometimes."

She smiled softly.

"I suppose I'm a little mad."

He mirrored her grin, as their noses bump against each others. His lips graze hers.

"Very mad."

━━━━━━・❪ 𓆩♡𓆪 ❫ ・━━━━━━

Bonnie shuffled through the Salvatore House, rolling her eyes at the priceless artifacts that sat pretty on the shelves. She never realized how truly expensive and old this house was. It was like walking into a Victorian museum. If she was being honest with herself, she didn't want to admit any of these artifacts were cool. That the Salvatore brothers themselves were "cool". They lived through enough history to make anyone's head spin. They've experienced and seen so much that Bonnie felt a twinge of envy. Feeling envious of vampires made her want to vomit, but the feeling rose, anyway. She could only dream of the half of experience her peers would face. What if this was her last stop? Saving Mystic Falls and her friends again.. and again.

Instead of just looking at artifacts, maybe she'll collect some of her own.

"Please pick up your feet. It sounds like nails on chalkboard," Damon sneered.

Bonnie narrowed her eyes, and then dramatically dragged her feet against the carpet, making him cringe.

"Hurry up and get in the car before I leave you here."