Chapter 8

One Month Prior

Lucifer's POV

The scent of candy wafted through the halls of my mortal home, announcing the arrival of the woman I hate the most, Crystal. Ever since her sister, my mate, disappeared she has been constantly trying to seek favour and a way into my bed. Little does she know that I will never disrespect my Queen in such a way, for the past nearly three years, I had stayed away from all women who attempted to replace the void left by Oceanna.

"Lucifer...you need to get out more. Forget about her. She left you," Crystal said, her words dripping with false sympathy. I looked at the woman before me and hatred filled every cell present in my body. How can I get rid of this vile woman? "I appreciate your concern, Crystal, but my heart belongs to Oceanna," I replied, my voice carrying a cold edge. She laughed, a sound that grated on my nerves. "Lucifer, you're wasting away in this mourning. You need someone to help you move on. I can be that someone."

I felt the anger rising within me, a fiery response to her audacity. "Crystal, I will not entertain such disrespect. Oceanna is my mate, and my loyalty to her is unwavering. Your advances are not only futile but insulting." Her expression shifted from faux concern to irritation. "You're delusional if you think she's ever coming back. She's probably dead or found someone else. Why waste your time on someone who abandoned you?"

I rose from my chair, hellfire wrapping around my form and my eyes turning the shade of red that only meant my demon was on the surface. He was harder to control since Oceanna left. I took a step closer, my eyes narrowing with intensity. "Oceanna is my Queen, and I will wait for her for all eternity if I must. Your presence is no longer welcome here. Leave." Crystal huffed in frustration but finally turned and left. I watched her retreating figure, vowing to protect Oceanna's honour against anyone who dared to tarnish it, especially someone as venomous as Crystal.

I could hear the front door slam shut, her anger evident, the intensity making the picture of Oceanna that hung on the wall shatter against the floor. The sound of shattering glass echoed through the room, a painful symphony to my ears. "Master?" Hecate's voice reached me from a distance, but all I could focus on was the damage that Crystal had done to the only picture I had of my Queen. It was from the last reincarnation, cameras had been invented. Oceanna looked regal, sitting upon my lap in the throne room of the Underworld, our hellhound faithfully beside us.

I hear footsteps slowly approaching me, "Master...I believe I have found her. Are you okay?" I could hear how she was hesitant to approach me in this state, through her rapid breathing and increased heart rate. "I am sorry for scaring you Hecate. She damaged the only picture of her." "I am sorry my Prince, I will get that repaired for you." "Thanks Hecate. Sorry I missed what you said," raising myself from the ground, I noticed the tears in her eyes, "Hecate? What is wrong? Are you okay?" She just smiled, a mix of relief and joy in her eyes. "My Prince...I have found her!"

"How? I still can't feel her." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I haven't felt her once since she left. Hecate's smile faltered slightly, understanding the weight of my words. "My Prince, the connection might be dormant, but it's there. The bond between mates is stronger than we can fathom. I used my abilities to trace her energy signature, and it led me to a small town near Devil's Pool. She's there, Lucifer, waiting for you."

My heart quickened at the revelation. "Why can't I feel her then? Why is the bond dormant?" Hecate hesitated, choosing her words carefully. "The angels have a way of dampening demon mate bonds, as you know. It means she is still protected by an angel. I don't know how but I was able to connect with her." I clenched my fists, frustrated by the fact that she is hiding with an angel that I do not know of. "How do we proceed, Hecate? I need to find her."