✧ 20

(A/N: photos on the covers instead cuz i'm running out of gifs sorry <3)

"Where's your other friend? The one with the orange hair?"

"You mean Jaemi?"

Jeonghan nodded his head, curiosity evident in his eyes.

I had decided to sit with Jeonghan during our break this time, along with Juyoung, Yeonjun, Haru and one of her friends.

I was sitting between Haru's friend and Jeonghan, the former leaned into a seemingly private conversation between Haru.

It was a pretty hot day, and this girl clearly had a full face of makeup on, resulting in it running ufortunately on her eyes and cheeks.

It was impossible to be sure of what they were talking about, but I had a good idea, based on the constant glances I was receiving from the two of them. The empty self-affirmation that it was all in my head was no help, negativity always sticking better than positivity.

"Oh yeah, I haven't seen her in a little while."

Juyoung piped in, leaning forward slightly with bright interest written all over his expression.

"She's been busy studying extra. She's quite the hardworker."

I replied with a glimmer of pride glowing on my lips as I spoke fondly of my best friend. Juyoung smiled as well, while Haru and her friend seemed to find it much funnier than it truly was.

This time, I couldn't help but shoot them a defensive glare as they chortled to themselves, immediately assuming they were laughing at Jaemi's expense.

They looked back at me with amused judgement in their eyes, causing the irritation in my chest to heat up a little, narrowing my eyes and clenching my jaw slightly.

"Did I say something funny?"

I tried my best to say in a polite tone to keep my cool, but the passive-aggressive undertone came out a lot more apparent than intended. At my voice, the light chatter in the group gradually quietened down as the uninvolved bystanders paid less attention to their previous conversation topics.

Haru glanced at Yeonjun's now attentive stare and visibly recoiled, pursing her lips and crossing her arms in front of her as she leaned away from her friend slightly.

Her friend, however, didn't back down, and even seemed intrigued by my irritation and the sudden addition of attention.

The corner of her lips perked up slightly in a cocky smirk as her brow furrowed at me.

"It's obvious isn't it? Your best friend is a total nerd."

She giggled a little after she said that, not seeming to notice that she was the only one laughing.

Juyoung's smile weakened, his brows knitting together. The whole table was now completely silent, apart from the gentle heaviness in my breathing as I tried to maintain my composure.