Ever The Contrarian

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Come in. It's not locked."

As Mercury walked in, she suddenly stared at the person sitting at the desk. black hair and deep blue eyes, and also a very fancy suit. Very. Very fancy. It blinged-up his entire face. His face was on par with Nox's, and a crest was on his shoulder. More good-looking people?! They just keep coming! Mercury stared at the dude - she was almost drowning in those seas of blue. Plus, jet-black hair was something only inherited directly by descendants of the royal family - and rightfully so, she didnt think the fangirl's hearts could handle it if there were more people walking around looking like that. ("NO! WE ARE ETERNALLY LOYAL TO NOX!!" the fangirls screeched, and Nox flinched as chills went down his spine. He felt like he was being watched, for some reason.)

Mercury's eyes widened. Jet black hair, the Royal crest, and fancy clothes. Ding ding ding! You just put the prices together, Mer, darling! Then this was - Iodine instantly sank into a bow. "Hello, Your Highness."

"Oh, uhm...." Mercury said, also entering a low bow. The prince grinned like a cat and nodded at them. "You may rise. In fact, Im here as a regular person right now. Perhaps you would help me out?" a normal person? BUT YOU'RE WEARING THE CREST OF THE ROYAL FAMILY! mercury internally screamed, bowing her head. "Yep, sure. what do you need help with?" Mercury asked him, and the prince smirked. "I am looking for... Lady Mercury?" he asked, checking a piece of paper in his hand. Mercury clenched her fist. Why now, of all times..? she didnt need to attract attention! (Ironically) She just wanted to infiltrate the stupid government and get out! why was the crown prince looking for a dirt-poor socialite? Why, oh why?! She knew from the abstract that she was a magnet for trouble, but this was getting ridiculous!

"What do you want with her? it could help with finding out where she is." Nox asked, brain working in full-speed, and the prince looked at the paper again. "Uhm, it says here... Do I need to execute her? I don't know why, but it's direct orders from my father. Must be important, then! Plus, she's putting the guild in danger." the prince read out, flipping the paper over so that they could peer at it. it was an arrest warrant for Mercury - signed by the emperor. Mercury glanced at Nox and Iodine. Directly from the emperor?! What! Ridiculous! Hogwash! This prince was a imposter! She refused to believe that the emperor was taking an ingested in her, even if it was interest in her head..! Perhaps it would be better to come up with a fake name for now. Maybe Rue...? She had always wanted to be named Rue. Yes, it would fit her rather well.

"So, who are you blokes?" the prince asked plainly, leaning back in a pose no elegant prince should ever take. Mercury was tempted to snap a picture.

"Ah, we're the new recruits. This is Nox, Iodine, and my name is Rue." Mercury said, pointing to each of them in turn and then jabbing a thumb at herself and the name "rue". "So.... why are you here? in my room?" the prince asked, uninterested, looking at his fingernails. "I have no idea. But, we can... help you find Mercury." Mercury said, scratching her head. it was getting more complicated by the minute. she should have confessed her identity right then and there, but that would only result in certain deaths. And not just her. Nox and Iodine, too."All alright. I'll take the help, and in return, you get the support of the crown prince to call on whenever you want." the prince said, taking off his royal crest. Mercury watched, dumbfounded. Why...?

then, she saw the reason. The prince flipped the crest to reveal its back - which had the emblem of a certain snakey squiggle. "I am the leader of the guild of Ultron. Welcome, new recruits. here's your first assignment." the prince said, getting up and shuffling into a formal position to offer it to them. There were three copies, so Mercury handed one to Nox and Iodine.

the first assignment was.... To kill Mercury. herself. Of course. You cant have good luck all the time, Mer, Darling! Your time is up! Mercury stared in horror at the paper. Nox's jay also dropped, and Iodine sharply elbowed both of them. "Ahem... why us?" Mercury asked, reigning composure, clearing her throat and holding onto the paper with clammy fingers. "Erm... you're the first people I saw? Are you questioning imperial judgment?" the prince asked playfully, raising an eyebrow at her, and she stuck her tongue out. This piece of...! Threatening without meaning to and while meaning too! The nerve! (She's talking about not meaning too, as in he doesn't know she's Mercury, and meaning too, as in what he just said.) Not the best thing to do to royalty, but oh well. She was immortal, anyway, as a main character."No, Your Highness, I was just curious. I wouldn't dream of it."