Ever The Contrarian

CHAPTER TWENTY FOURRRRR (DUN DUN)

"Hey, Mer! What are you doing here?" Nox asked, appearing around the corner and walking up to Mercury, who was now standing alone in the middle of the concrete wasteland. "Oh, I was just about to head back. Good, you're here." Mercury fibbed. Nox instantly noticed and sighed. "Whatever it was, let's go." Nox said, holding out a hand. Mercury took it, and they walked down the wasteland together.

"Somehow, this reminds me of a quote I read once." Nox said. "Oh yeah? what was it, 'concrete is sturdier than your hold on life?'" Mercury challenged, and Nox scoffed. You wish it was, Mercury. "No, it was..." Nox began, taking in a breath.

"One day, there won't be anything left here but ashes of what used to be, and yet the tomorrow that we'll see is one that another wished to live for."

"Uh-huh. well, lest you forget, I am immune to poetry. I have no poetic sense, as in. And, also, the rest of the world is fine. And, if that happens, then we aren't going to be the only ones to survive the world getting ruined." Mercury interjected, and Nox sighed. good try. The author made a vow, though. No romance on my watch, suckers! "Yeah, sure, sure. Whatever you say.." Nox said, and Mercury clapped him on the back. Iodine was waiting for them outside their room, and she raised an eyebrow at both of them. oh, they had been outside together while the sun was setting?! romantic sunset moment?!! "Iodine! I can see you thinking! stop!" Mercury screamed, and Iodine grinned like a cat. Oh, you can see it, can you mercury? "Well, whatever. Good night." Iodine said, shuffling off to her room with Flourine in tow. Well, guess that's it for today. "Goodnight, Mer," Nox said, and Mercury smiled. "You too. Thanks."