Ever The Contrarian

CHAPTER TWELVE :D

Soon, after finding an old (and, luckily, dry) towel for Merucury, the gang set off once again. Their new path was starkly different ot the one that they had set off on their way to Airre. That path had been filled with overgown shrubs and half-paved roads. Meanwhile, this path had a neat brick path and was surrounded by snowy pines on all sides. It was cold, which was bad for Merucury, who would have frozen up if she hadnt borrowed Iodine and Nox's cloaks. She was now wearing 3 cloaks layered onto of ech other, which was stuffy and made it hard to move her shoulders, but it was alright because she was warm. When you're comfortably warm and have some nice snowy scenery, who needs to move anyway? certainly not mercury.

and that she didnt. she just stayed rolled up in her bundle of clothes, rocking along gently to Penguin's steps. Sleep came fast.

In her dream, she was casually back inher cottage. somehow, in her dreams, she was never anywhere else, because she couldnt imagine herself anywhere else. Her cottage was where she belonged. "Oh. Im back. this is a dream, huh? well, i dont want to wake up. I guess.. I could rearrange some of the books." Mercury said, crouching oto pick up a book off the floor. The Dellok, it read. A book about a main character who has faced one problem after another her whole life, only to suddenly be freed from it. now, in the book, she spends her time helping those in need, like her! "Lets organize them by color! rainbow order, on the shelves! that'll be fun to look at!" Mercury jeered, grabbing all the red books she could immediately see. She shuffled them al into a shelf, and then grabbed all the orange books she could find. Shuffling them next ot the red ones, she them hustled around to find some yellow covers. Then green, blue, purple, pink. They all fit perfectly onto the bottom shelf. It was quite visually appelasing to look at, and Mercury looked back to admire her work from her place on the floor. "oh! that does look quite nice, huh?" Mercury said, crossing her arms over her chest. she was sitting cross-legged in formt of her bookshelf. Her dreams were always a form for her to escape life - because she could do whatever she wanted in them, without fear. with a sigh, she unsteadily stood up. "I have been doing this for a while now. I suppose its time to wake up."

Mercury blinked awake and rubbed her eyes with her hands. "Good morning, Mercury." Nox said, and Mercury turned away. She felt like crying. she wanted to go back. no matter what the cost. where was her cottage when she needed it? what was she doing on a horse, and now snuggled up in her cheap blankets on the floor?

"Huh? what? why are you always so grumpy when you wake up! what do you even dream about?" Nox asked, and Mercury whirled to him, grabbed a rock, and chucked it at his handsome face. she seriosuly wasnt in the mood to talk. Obviosuly, she was wrapped in three cloaks. so she couldnt move her hands right to aim, and the rock bounced off the ground, not only missing Nox but also Sky completely. "Jeez. Alright, alight. I wont pry." Nox said, turning around. "Good morning, Mer! can I style your hair?" Iodine said form behind her, on Lillypad. Fluorine was sitting in front of her.

"Of course." Mercury said, smiling. Iodine knew her moods when she woke up, so she sovide the topic like death. Iodine got off lillypad and sat right behind her, a hairtie clenched between her teeth and two hands furiously brushing out every last strand. "ALright! a braid today, or a bun? a ponytail, maybe? or! french braids!" Iodine mused, splitting up Mercury's hair and yanking the strands in a few different directions before tying them. "You got a braided ponytail today, Mercury! cool, right? hopefully he hairtie wont fall out of anything." Iodine said mildly.

"You threw a rock at me when I asked! so unfair!" Nox pouted, and Mercury balked. Oops, now she had to apologize! she had just remembered. "Sorry, Nox." she muttered, and Nox grinned. "No, its partly my fault too. I forgot to never mess with you when you wake up." he said, winking. Mercury flushed and turned around. "Where are we, anyway?"