Chapter 2 Alanis

“That bitch!!” Burmen gritted his teeth in disdain at the reporter who almost ripped through his dirty sheets. “Who was she to question me like that?”

“You need to calm down, if you act rashly in the public people might see through you” I suggested with my eyes calm. Though his words caused a bile of abhorrence to curl in my stomach ready to throw it out all on Burmen and stain his already tainted face.

“You just lost a damn case Carter, and I lost 60 millions of my sweat, blood and tears on that little slut” another urge rippled through my heart straight to my knuckles ready to refigure this bastard’s outdated face.

“I couldn’t win if what my client does is eye fuck a jury member when I’m defending his innocence.” My voice thundered inside, giving the driver a shudder.

Yes I lost a case and that was a blow to my  5 years of career but my ego wasn’t that inflated, if I could I would’ve won, it was like 1 2 3 for me. Yet this dumb fuck didn’t shut his mouth throughout our ride to his office. He kept rambling about the girl again and again, I was sure I would be going to jail if this old hag didn’t stop.  “If you’re done we can leave you here.” For all I cared was getting home and resting my eyes, as Burmen’s case required nights of endless work in the front and behind.

“Don’t you spout a thing Alanis, I did not throw money at your face to lose this case.” The vein in my forehead popped at his claims. “Some best lawyer you---” before more words could get out of his sloppy mouth, his face met with a jolting budge.

“You’re lucky since you’re my mother’s acquaintance” I spoke wiping my precious car seat, throwing the tissue paper at his feet as he stood there in fumes, where he belonged. The car sped leaving Burmen cursing on the road. He wasn’t of any benefit either. I made sure that he would spend the rest of his life in penury. He was done the moment his filthy boots stepped in my office. He could’ve landed down the abyss if he was not little much related with my mother.

We drove towards the porch. I got out in less than two strides already bolting towards the entrance. Ignoring all of those people waiting for me. It wasn’t a pleasant day for my courtesy but I still gave a little nod. For all I needed was just a warm shower as that would unclog the veins in my brain. But what made my steps halt was a certain someone in the living room, his arm resting on the velvety surface of the couch. A lazy grin spread his lips upwards.

“To what do I owe your dumb presence?” I asked not sparing another glance at my brother.

“I thought you needed a drink, bought one of the classics.” He pointed towards the champagne resting in the chillness of rocks.

“Thanks but no.” my feet counted the stairs as I moved upwards. “Plus I should congratulate you on winning the fight. Cool jail pics though.” I shot him a glance my pace didn’t once waver. While Color drained down my brother’s face making it sallow in the process.

“How did—I promise I won’t do it again.” The earlier snarky bitch ran with it’s tail in the mouth and got replaced with a scared-y-cat. I got a video from my reliable source just before the hearing, my brawler of a brother beating the pulp out of a guy in a Yankee stadium.