Pt7

In the early days of October as fall was settling in across the lands Mrs. Kim received an unexpected phone call that brought her entire life into a complete 180 as it was finally something positive. After enduring endless treatments that seemed to go on forever the entire finally had a huge breakthrough. Her doctor was pleased to announce that she was cancer-free and the whole family could now breathe sighs of relief to know officially that she would make it to her birthday as the days were rolling up on the 25th. While the Kims celebrated a victory who would've known tragedy was about to strike in Joy's life?

In the Byun household, there had been nothing but empty promises and negative reports coming in from every direction regarding Mama Byun's health. As negativity kept popping its ugly head into the situation Mama Byun believed hardly against the reports. The oncologist kept laying things out on the table to avoid the harsh chemo which in the end was the last resort but he knew it wiped people out completely. Reluctantly, the hard chemo was the only option left if Mama Byun wanted to live. At this point, Mama Byun had run out of options as she agreed with her mind being completely overwhelmed with worry. Joy was there to comfort her mother through the toughest decision of her life knowing that it wasn't going to be any easier road. The fact of the matter was the situation only got darker from here on out.

October 26, 2023, was the first day of Chemo for Mama Byun. The most dreaded day in the Byun's life as it was full of uncertainties about the future and fate of their beloved family member.  That same day after treatment Mama Byun came home after treatment to rest only to wake up unable to breathe properly. Joy knew action was needed in this situation so she called the doctor on guard who recommended 911. So Mr. Byun took action immediately after hearing what was needed at this point which was getting help for his wife. 911 was called and soon afterwards an ambulance was dispatched to pick up Mrs. Byun. Joy sat beside her father in the ER waiting room being nervous as fuck waiting patiently for the call to go back as one at a time was only allowed. Once the green light was given Joy rushed back to the aid of her mother who had several bacterial tests ongoing and the majority of them were negative except for one, Pneumonia. This wasn't a good thing being any disease could wipe out Mrs Byun completely as she already had a compromised immune system. Joy noticed the same rash that had appeared in a different area on Mama Byun reappearing as she recognized the cellulitis developing on the lower shin which went unnoticed for a while. Papa Byun who was MIA a lot due to work finally showed up in the scene being in the picture for once with his wife and daughter. The dreaded moment had come when Mama Byun had agreed to be hospitalized but who would know the worst could come about from this? This event brought the family closer together in that ER room as there was laughing, deep conversations, and teasing with each other playfully but as time went on eventually everyone got hungry as it was 21:00 so a pizza was ordered late at night bringing everyone together. Visiting hours were 23:00 but none of the hospital staff said anything when Joy or Papa stayed late until after midnight it was only on a designated floor hell was raised. Papa and Joy were both exhausted as they'd been at the hospital for a while and running on very little sleep as it was since stress was a problem.

Overnight the hospital found a room for Mama Byun which the family was informed by the text message that Mama left in the group chat. When Joy and Papa rose the next day they found the text message so they knew where Mama was located. Mama Byun was spry as that was her nature so when Mama acted any other way it was abnormal. While Mama stayed on the 4th floor she had been roomed with a British American neighbor who was discharged that day but it wasn't a problem the real problem would come when Mama Byun's health issues were ignored. One day Joy walked in to see her mother covered in blood as Mama Byun ripped out her IV not being aware of what was done until mentioned. Joy rushed to get her mother's attending nurse informing them what happened while Joy grabbed gloves and a few santi-wipes cleaning the blood up from the floor thoroughly.  Joy then carefully disconnected the monitors from Mama to ensure the cleanliness of the equipment and helped the nurse dress Mama too. Joy took on the nurse's duties to make sure Mama was taken care of fully as the neglect would only get worse from here.