xxii. the gullet

VISENYA TARGARYEN SNUCK OUT OF HER ROOMS and made her way to the dragon pit

VISENYA TARGARYEN SNUCK OUT OF HER ROOMS and made her way to the dragon pit. She wasn't going to claim a dragon, she didn't have the plans to, but she wanted to see them. It was hard, to not see Rhaegon amongst the other dragons that belonged to her family members. She just wanted to see them, nothing more. She thought about what her father had told her, but she didn't know if she had it in her to claim another dragon. Could she bond with another one? Would bonding with another one be a betrayal toward Rhaegon? Would it be a betrayal to herself? She wasn't sure.

But she took a deep breath before entering the pit.

It made her nervous, to think about potentially claiming a new dragon. She quickly shook her head and left the pit. She looked behind the pit and took a deep breath. She needed to go to the dragonmount. That's where Vermithor and Silverwing were. The unclaimed dragons that had belonged to Targaryens in her family. Visenya knew she probably should've told someone she was doing this. She snuck out of her room through the tunnels so that Erryk wouldn't know she was leaving. Visenya hiked over to the caves of the Dragonmount, she wasn't sure which dragon was in which cave, but if she was meant to claim one of them, she'd know.

So she stood and waited.

⇎⇎⇎⇎⇎⇎

Rhaenyra Targaryen was making her way to her daughter's chambers because she had distressing news. She had learned that the ship her youngest children were on, headed to Pentos had been hijacked by members of the Triarchy. Otto Hightower had put the plan into place to get the Triarchy into the Gullet from the moment Corlys Velaryon blocked it off.

But Prince Aegon the Younger had made it back to Dragonstone. His dragon was able to get him off of the ship, and though the dragon was mortally wounded, he was able to get Prince Aegon back to Dragonstone before he died. Viserys, however, only still had a dragon egg, it had not hatched and he was still stuck on the ship.

Jacaerys was ready to mount his dragon and go save his brother, but Rhaenyra needed Visenya to be aware of what was going on as well. When she got to her chambers, she saw Erryk outside. He immediately opened the doors and announced Rhaenyra's presence, but they were met with silence. "Princess?" Ser Erryk called out. He wasn't sure if she was changing her clothes or something.

"Visenya?" Rhaenyra asked as they entered her rooms. Ser Erryk scanned around the room and he mentally cursed himself when he saw the door to the secret entrance slightly cracked.

"Your Grace," Erryk grabbed her attention and pointed to the secret door. "I'm so sorry, it's my job to know when she leaves this room," She said.

"Ser Erryk. You have been a loyal and fierce protector of my daughter since she was 10 years old. You and I both know that she is good at being sneaky when she wants to be. This was not your fault," Rhaenyra said.

"You honor me, Your Grace," Ser Erryk said.

"We must find her, she needs to know what's going on with her brothers," Rhaenyra said. Ser Erryk nodded and their pair left her room. As they rounded the corner, they saw Aemond coming down the corridor.