The Marionettist's

In the faded grandeur of a long-forgotten theater in Gotham's older quarter, there once performed a puppeteer who was the envy of the entertainment world

In the faded grandeur of a long-forgotten theater in Gotham's older quarter, there once performed a puppeteer who was the envy of the entertainment world. Julian Dorrance, known on stage as "The Great Dorrance," was a master of marionettes, his shows a dazzling blend of art and mystery. He could make his puppets dance with such life that the audience often forgot they were watching carved wood and string.

Dorrance's passion for puppetry was not merely vocational—it was his entire world. He crafted each puppet by hand, imbuing them with characteristics and stories, a reflection of the facets he felt were missing in his own reclusive life. His favorite, a jester, was a particular crowd-pleaser, seemingly imbued with its own mischievous spirit.

Tragedy struck during a grand performance when a stage light, its wiring old and frayed, fell and struck Dorrance on the head. The injury was severe, and when Dorrance awoke in the hospital, something within him had changed irrevocably. He became convinced that the accident had unlocked a new talent: the ability to control not just his puppets but people as well.

Haunted by the delusion of grandeur and control, Dorrance's mind slipped further from reality. He began to see everyone around him as puppets, their strings just waiting to be pulled. Driven by this madness, he used his considerable savings to acquire black-market technology that could manipulate minds, integrating it into his puppets' strings and controls.

Taking on the new persona of "The Marionettist," he returned to the shadows of Gotham, no longer content to be a mere performer. His shows became sinister, his audience not viewers but victims, as he forced them to act against their will, turning the city into his personal stage.

The Marionettist's appearance matched his new, twisted purpose. He adorned himself with a skeletal, grinning mask that mirrored the ghastly visage of his beloved jester puppet. His attire, once vibrant and full of color, turned dark and elegant, a macabre maestro in a theater of the damned.

Now, The Marionettist pulls the strings in Gotham's underworld, manipulating the criminal and innocent alike, orchestrating a symphony of chaos. To him, the world is a grand stage, and all who dwell within it are mere puppets waiting for his command. His ultimate performance has just begun, and he will not allow anyone, not even Batman, to cut his strings.

*****

### Act I: The Puppet Master

Gotham's streets glistened with recent rain, the damp asphalt reflecting the theater's bright marquee lights. Despite the downpour, a long line had formed outside the Majestic Theater, patrons eager to see the debut performance of master puppeteer Nicolas Dorrance's macabre new show - The Marionettes.

Dorrance had gained notoriety across Gotham for his eccentric performances that brought life-sized marionettes to the stage. But the details of his latest show were shrouded in secrecy, ratcheting up public curiosity. Inside the theater, Dorrance watched from the rafters as the audience took their seats, relishing his anonymity before the curtain rose. He had labored on this new show for months, constructing his largest, most complex marionettes yet. They would become extensions of his own body, precisely controlled by the advanced neural interface hidden beneath his wig and makeup.