~Chapter 10~

Seeing Knuckles behind me startled me enough for me to jump back in surprise, also scaring him in the process. He looked at me for a while before eventually speaking.

"Hey, um... you were just talking to Sonic, right?" He shyly, yet sternly, spoke.

I didn't have the courage to speak at that moment, so I simply nodded.

Knuckles sighed, the bridge of his nose scrunching up slightly in annoyance.

"Did he tell you anything?" Knuckles continued.

Biting my lip, I hesitantly shook my head. Sure, Sonic had wanted me to give a confrontation, but Knuckles' mood at that moment was something I didn't want to deal with.

Yet, of course, Knuckles sensed something was up.

His eyes narrowed slightly.

"Sure, sure... if that's true, I'll be taking my leave then..."

Knuckles stood up and walked past me, but on his way past the bushes I instinctively reached out my hand. He looked back at me in confusion.

"What?" He spoke behind gritted teeth, "What now?"

C'mon... This has to be the moment to confront him!

"...nothing. I'll see you later."

Crap.

I watched as Knuckles walked away, back into the house. My body slumped, and I sighed heavily in annoyance. Looking back at the house, I could see Sonic and Tails greeting Knuckles in the lounge. It was a nice scene, seeing all of them getting along so well. I just wish I was a part of it. Laughing along to Sonic's jokes while eating Chili Dogs with him, helping Tails with his complex gadgets, and being able to spend precious time with Knuckles. It made my heart ache with yearning.

The mid-morning sun was now very bright and the tree's leaves didn't help to bring shade, the sun's rays hitting me with warmth.

At least I thought it was the sun making me feel all hot and... nervous? Jumpy? Happy, even?

I paused in thought.

Nah, something's definitely going on...