Chapter 3

Personification

Chapter 3

Calabria E Bagnara Calabra, Southern Italy

"Well, c'mon. Let's go."

The taller one was leading us to his car which, not surprisingly, was a Ferrari. A pretty nice one too.

"Ve~," the younger slipped out. I looked at him strangely before he snapped his fingers.

"Oh! Perdere? What is your name?"

I was about to answer him when the elder one interrupted. "You don't even know her name?!"

"It never came up," the man answered. "My name is Veneziano."

In my hazy vision, I noticed a hand being stretched toward me. Taking it, I shook and said as best as I could, "Amara DeFelice."

With the car door open, the dark haired man looked at me strangely.

"Dee-Fell-eece? What a weird name."

I narrowed my eyes before crossing my arms. "Well, it's really pronounced Dee-Fell-E-chay. But my great-great grandpa got it changed when he came to America."

Veneziano looked interested and asked while he got in the car, "He was an immigrant? Do you know what name he got it changed from?"

I nodded and began to get in the car too. Actually, I had just found out recently what grandpa Felix's last name was. It was kinda long, but funny sounding. I couldn't help but always attempt a sophisticated face while saying it but end up breaking out into a smile.

"DeFelicealuche."

Veneziano's eyes widened and the man holding the door gasped. With a pale face, he quickly shut the door and scrambled to the driver's seat. It took no time at all for the car to be turned on and racing down the narrow street.

I don't even have my seat belt on!

I held the back of the firm seat to brace myself. The needle on the speedometer climbed higher and higher.

155 km/hr?!

Just then I noticed Veneziano, who was next to me, holding the front passenger's headrest, freaking out.

"Romano! Romano! What do we do? What do we do?!"

"Io non lo so!"

The speed of the car and the sudden curves and turns were beginning to churn my stomach. Getting double vision, I blinked hard and slow to get rid of the swirls invading my space and air. Heat swam up my neck and to my cheeks.

"If she's related to Felix, it could mean trouble!"

"Oh... Dizzy..." I murmured.

"No, it could mean trouble if Ernesto finds her!"

I closed my eyes and tried to calm the pounding in my head.

"But what if he already knows?" Veneziano asked.

"Don't think like that! We can't afford a crazy war involving the mafia!"

I leaned to the side when we turned on another curve. Hitting Veneziano's shoulder, he made a surprised sound as the man kept talking.

"Just in case," he started as I began to feel a bubble come up my throat, "let's take her home. Safety over--"

I didn't let him finish. Vomit flew onto Veneziano's pants and the floor of the man's car. It was gross, but the dizziness was taking control over my insides.

"My Ferrari!" the man shouted.

The car jerked and I felt another wave coming on.

"My pants!" Veneziano yelled as the pink ooze dripped down from his knees.

"Slower... Please..." I begged as the tomato aftertaste made me even more nauseous.

"No!" they both yelled in sync.

I toughly swallowed the burning acid before losing conscious. I didn't even have tomatoes for lunch...

©AmaraDeFelice 2013