Prologue

At sixteen years old Ophelia Phantomhive had been granted the opportunity to study abroad in America and attend Dartmouth University as one of just a handful of women. Although her intelligence and academic success were well beyond others her age her admission to the esteemed University was founded upon her familial title and not of her own merit. Ophelia was the eldest child of the Earl Phantomhive and due to that she was afforded luxuries beyond the normal limitations of her sex. Her parents Vincent and Rachel encouraged her every endeavor in spite of the constricting norms of gentry. From fencing with private tutors, lessons in various instruments, hunting and horseback Ophelia was granted the same education as any noble male heir. She sought out every opportunity to flourish and succeed and relished in her passion for excellence. Ophelia strived to live up to her family name and make her parents proud.

Although her parents liberally supported her education due to law and custom Ophelia was limited by her sex. Although the oldest child she silently acknowledged that she would never be the true heir of the Phantomhive Earldom and its business ventures. Her younger sibling Ceil would be the head of the Phantomhives due to the phallic nature of his gender. Although she could inherit and own property by virtue of being an unmarried woman the nature of nobility demanded that all assets be transferred to the eldest male heir. Repressive contracts and deeds forged and solidified a patriarchal hierarchy ensuring that women of noble classes were trapped in a dependency to their fathers and husbands.

Ophelia sought to be successful and independent in her own right. Ophelia learned tactful business sense by often shadowing her father in his meetings and reading over his business proposals and contracts. Ophelia vowed to amass her own riches and reputation. Her inherited tenacity and wit propelled her forward, above and beyond her limitations. Ophelia would one day be held in the same respect as her male peers.

Or at least that is what she had planned during her studies abroad. Little did Ophelia know that forces beyond her control would chain and shackle her. She would lose everything in an instant and as an orphan be forced into position of a ward to the cruel Earl Trancy. Under the Earls 'care' Ophelia will find herself isolated and misguided and abused into submission. She would bide her time until she could escape from Trancy's tyrannical rule. Upon the arrival of Earl Trancy's new 'play thing' leading to his untimely demise she finds her life irreparably changed for better or worse as she flees the manor.