12. Creatures of the Night

"It's so lovely to meet you Ciel." A young blonde boy slightly taller than Ciel smiled smugly, "I do hate to intrude but you hadn't responded to any of my post, and I was beginning to worry about Lady Ophelia."

"Don't speak so familiarly with me." Ciel commanded, "My sister is no concern of yours Earl Trancy."

"Why aren't you an ungrateful little brat?" Alois pouted, "It was I who reunited you with your sister wasn't it? You should be thanking me."

"It was due to your father that we had been separated in the first place. I won't provide you with accolades for righting an egregious wrong." Ciel scoffed and eyed the boy and his manservant, "It's rather uncouth to intrude on a party demanding entrance."

"Master," Sebastian began, "Perhaps it would be best to invite the young Earl in on the festivities? Lady Ophelia did regard him warmly after all."

Ciel glared at Sebastian before returning his surly gaze to Alois, "I will allow your attendance as not to cause you embarrassment. But do not confuse my actions for kindness."

Claude and Sebastian exchanged steely looks as Ciel turned on his heel to walk away. Alois left aloofly to make pleasantries with near by nobles and the two men stood fast and stared each other down.

"I do hope you're taking good care of my mistress." Claude finally spoke, "We at Trancy manor have grown very fond of Lady Ophelia and are looking forward to her return."

"I can assure you that I take care of my mistresses every want and need. I've had to dote on her considering how thin and weak she was when she returned from your care." Sebastian smiled behind closed eyes, "And of course we had to replace every tacky frock packed in her trunk. The smell left by your hands was unbearable."

"Tell me Sebastian." Claude began with a hint of a smirk on his porcelain face, "If Lady Ophelia is being as well cared for as you claim then where is she? I can't sense her anywhere on the property."

Sebastian's eyes burned red as he too could no longer sense his mistress. Her soul had vanished without a trace and a growl sounded from behind his gritted teeth. Sebastian turned on his heel towards the parlor he had left Ophelia in. He swung open the doors and clenched his hands in aggravation at the sight of the empty room and wide-open patio door. Ciel and Sebastian had been gone for no more than six minutes and the fiends had spirited Ophelia away. While they were distracted by their unwelcome visitors Ophelia had fallen victim to the kidnappers they so sought to catch.

"Sebastian." Ciel called from the doorway, "Make sure Ophelia is returned unharmed."

"Yes, my lord." Sebastian bowed with a hand across his chest before disappearing into the night.

Ophelia's head was in absolute agony. A searing pain stabbed at her temples as her eyes fluttered open wildly and slowly regained focus. Ophelia blinked as the dimly lit room came into view and a sharp coppery stink stung inside her nostrils. The room was cold with stone walls and soft light peering through intricate stained-glass windows. Faded tapestries lined the walls and a sheen of dust lined the heavy claw foot furniture. A fireplace roared and before it sat two ornate chairs and a ghoulish bearskin rug. Ophelia gasped as she tried to stand only to fall harshly against the stone wall behind her. She felt dread pool in her throat as she struggled against the ornate golden shackles chained to her wrists and ankles.

"You've finally awoken, draga." A husky voice sounded from the shadows, "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you."

"Who's there?" Ophelia spat, "Are you too cowardly to show yourself to a chained woman?"