3. The Late Earls Son

Ophelia was unsure of the goings on beyond her chamber door. She felt a strange foreboding presence looming over the manor for several days now. She could feel death and doom stalking the hallways and lingering outside of her door. The normal hustle and bustle of maids and guests had been absent and an eerie silence laid in its wake. She hadn't heard or seen any of the maids that would normally attend to her. Her meals seemed to appear in her room like magic. She hadn't seen or heard anyone enter her room but still within an instant her bed was made, clothes laundered, blinds drawn, and tea and breakfast set out for her. At night her bathtub would be filled with hot water and as she bathed an invisible force would lay out her night dress and set fresh coals in her hearth. Ophelia was sure that she was losing her mind.

She was convinced that the silence and isolation had driven her mad. These occurrences must have been eerie hallucinations. Beds do not make themselves and meals cannot be served through a locked door. But Ophelia didn't mind her madness too much. She imagined that her usual meal of broth and bread was substituted with delectable scones, pastries, savory dishes with fish, meats, and vegetables. Her hallucinations became so vivid that she could taste blends of seasonings in her meals and the sweetness of sugar and honey in her afternoon tea.

It was late morning when Ophelia finished dressing. A beautiful royal purple gown was laid out for her as well as a chemise petticoat and intricate corset. It had been months since Ophelia had seen such finery. She had initially struggled to lace her own corset but managed over time to dress herself completely. She gazed at her reflection in the mirror before she sat down to her breakfast tray. Her light blonde hair had grown down to her mid back during her time in the manor. Having been denied access to the outside her skin had grown ghostly pale and her athletic build had atrophied.

With a sigh she sat down on her ottoman and sipped a most fragrant herbal tea. She longed to walk outside the manor in its beautiful gardens and stretch her legs near the brook. A sunny afternoon picnic would be far more than a distant dream to her now. A knock on her door caused her to jolt up in shock and her China cup shattered against the hard wood floor.

"I apologize for the intrusion my lady," A tall and lithe butler bowed at the waist, "The master has requested you join him for breakfast."

"Earl Trancy wishes to see me after all this time?" Ophelia furrowed her brow in suspicion, "I wish only to see the lecher rotting in the soil."

The butler stood in the doorway with an expressionless face. From behind a pair of spectacles his golden eyes investigated every inch of the young girl. His black hair framed his demure face and made him look more than comely. Like a marble sculpture he stood stoic and gazed upon Ophelia with a confusing intensity. She could feel her face flush as she faltered and looked away to her lap.

"I assure you that the master bares you no ill will. Your safety is guaranteed my lady." He spoke cold and commanding, "My master wishes to discuss some matters of utmost importance with you."

Ophelia followed behind the butler with silent anticipation. The manor was not at all how she remembered it. She could have sworn that taxidermy busts plagued the walls and that a stench of mildew and sweat usually wafted up from the carpets. The atmosphere that she remembered to be gaudy, and suffocating was now bright and chicly decorated. Was all of this a figment of her own imagination as well?

"The young master chose to remodel. He didn't quite agree with his predecessors' tastes." The butler explained as if he could sense her confusion.

"Predecessor?" Ophelia furrowed her brow and continued in step with the tall manservant.

"Claude!" A young boyish yell interrupted the pair, "Could you have taken any longer with her?"

In the grand dining room, a young blonde-haired boy sat at the head of the table. He was dressed in a fine deep purple suit with luxurious golden embellishments. His blue eyes glimmered mischievously as he crossed his legs atop the table. He motioned for Ophelia to take a seat next to him and she hesitantly complied. The boy looked familiar to her but she could not place where she had met him before. Had she ever met him at all?