6. For Propriety's Sake

Dinner with her brother was largely uneventful. A roast duck with a savory stuffing was served alongside fresh steamed asparagus and paired with a delightfully refreshing sauce of red wine and citrus. The meal was truly exceptional, and Ophelia was more than impressed by what the butler had referred to as a simple supper. The roast duck was perfectly moist and seasoned to perfection with a beautiful crispy skin. And the pairing of vintage full bodied and vivid Chenin Blanc was a perfect addition to the meal. Sebastian was clearly an exceptional servant as he had all the knowledge and skill of a first-class chef and sommelier. Ophelia found herself chuckling as Sebastian explained that a butler who couldn't prepare a fine dinner and pair it with an exquisite wine was one that wasn't worth his salt.

Ophelia found herself growing drowsy at the end of her second glass of wine. Although the butler didn't expect her to be quite over served by merely two glasses, he noted that the woman was inebriated. He took a mental note of her low tolerance as her face grew red and she became quite giggly.

Soon dinner was cleared from the table and the young master was ready to retire for the night. Ciel sat pensively in his claw foot bathtub as Sebastian scrubbed his skin with a soft sponge. Sebastian could feel the tension that burrowed in his charge's small body. The days' events had taken quite a toll on the young master.

"My Lord, is something on your mind?" Sebastian asked with feigned concern.

"What do you think of all this?" Ciel asked as he sat up straight in the warm water.

"I took the liberty of investigating Lady Ophelia's claims and found them to be quite factual. Ophelia graduated with honors from Dartmouth university and upon your parents demise was left in the care of Earl Trancy. Although the letter detailing her guardianship was authentic the details didn't match the instructions outlined in your fathers will." Sebastian replied with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Are you suggesting someone interfered to bypass the written will?" Ciel looked up to the butler with skeptical eyes.

"I believe so. You and your sister's care was to be transferred to Madam Red until you became of age to inherit the estate. Instead, rumors were widespread in high society that Ophelia had disappeared without a trace and was most likely deceased." Sebastian stated matter-of-factly, "The question of culprit and motive still remain a mystery to me."

"Do you think Earl Trancy was behind the diversion?" Ciel pondered with a disgruntled tone.

"Unfortunately, I can't be sure sire. What I can be sure of is that whoever was behind this was calculated and meticulous beyond measure."

Ciel huffed at the lack of clarity. Anger and resolve brewed in his chest as the full realization of Ophelias' artfully designed humiliation dawned on him. He had no doubt that the forces behind his parents' demise must be connected to his sisters imprisonment and rumored death. Ciel's determination to seek revenge was only fortified by this revelation. He vowed that the villains would face the same agony and humiliation that he endured. Hatred burned within his chest.

Meanwhile in the east wing of the manor Ophelia was blissfully enjoying a hot bath. Mey-Rin, the maid of the estate, had been instructed to help her with her evening hygiene and dress. Ophelia lounged in the warm water as Mey-Rin lathered a fine shampoo into her long blonde hair. Ophelia was still giddy from the wine and found the maids company quite enjoyable. They joked and gossiped together about the other servants; Sebastian was quite a topic of conversation for the mulberry-haired maid. Ophelia giggled as Mey-Rin turned bright red and clasped her hands against her cheeks as she rambled on about how capable and handsome the lithe butler was. Ophelia was all too happy to poke fun at the maids swooning which only deepened her blush.