Part 3 - The Opposite of a Joyride

Without looking, I threw the shovel and supplies behind my desk.

No matter who it was, explaining what I was doing with that stuff was more trouble than it was worth. My father always said, 'never trust a man with holding a shovel at dusk.' He was a very strange man even before he did what he did.

"Oh, hi sis." Peter waved, signalling a feeling of dread too great to bear.

My eyes are greeted with the glowing presence of an angel as my mind engulfs itself in flame and tears itself apart in my self-inflicted hell. She would see what I have done to her brother and cast me down forever. Not that I didn't deserve it of course.

Resigned to my fate I turned to meet Daisy. 'Always see eye-to-eye with your executioner.' Another piece of fatherly advice child me found undecipherable in innocence. Now I grasped what he meant all too well.

The look on her face was one of turmoil. I hated myself for putting her through this. We had only just met, but I was certain she felt the same connection I did. To find out I had slighted her in this way would surely break such a delicate heart.

"Can you see what he did to me? He's a monster!"

I heard the words and could only agree with them.

"D...Daisy." Her name was all I managed to get out. I felt sick. Reached out weakly for support in a vain gesture.

She took my hand in an intimate embrace.

"Sorry for barging in like this. I just really need your help! Peter is still not home and it's starting to get dark. I keep hearing noises in the house, thinking it's him. It never is. That old creaky place, it keeps playing with my emotions I swear! I know I'm probably being silly."

She gazed into my eyes and smiled.

I could never look at her hatefully, yet I was certainly confused. That was until I heard sheer mirth coming from the other side of the room. Peter was doubled over.

"Yeah dude, she can't see or hear me! No one can! I just wanted to see you sweat!" He wheezed between hearty guffaws.

Any annoyance was quickly washed away with the relief of knowing Daisy was blissfully unaware of my crimes against her. A small smile plays across my lips. I took her hand more firmly.

"Please do not even worry about it, dear lady! You are welcome to come visit me at any time, day or night. I'm always here!" I chuckle myself at the accuracy of that statement. "Although of course I wish this visit was under more pleasant circumstances. I do hope your brother, Peter, was it? I do hope he is alright."

"Wow, maybe you are a monster. Or at least a smarmy prick for sure!"

I ignore the phantasm's prattling.

"Oh, I'm sure he is fine really, and it is just me worrying as per usual. Peter has never been all that responsible and I worry about him out there."

Daisy's face looks so cute when she is concerned.

"That's charming that is! I'm lying dead in that guy's trunk and you're here making googly eyes and shit-talking me?! Not only that, but you think I'm unsafe out there?! Out there, when being in that house was driving me half mad! And coming here, looking for help! It made me...well it made me wind up dead, didn't it?! That's what you get for going to your local library folks! A trepanning to put things right by your local psychopath! Unbelievable!"

Peter's rant is drowned out by the deep green pools of her eyes.

"I'm sure he's fine, and you are so sweet for caring about him so."