Part 9 - Your Average Day in Depletion

An airy summer morning in the town of Depletion. I'm out to scout potential victims for the grim deal struck between the Librarian and the Sheriff. If those two are anything to go by, it shouldn't be too hard to find a couple of nefarious chumps no one will miss.

All my life travelling from place to place and sheltering inside from the cold callous world, it feels good to walk through town entirely unseen. I skip down the sun-drenched road in the middle of main street. Cars pass through me as people carry on with their day, on the way to work or who knows where.

It's one of those towns where corporate America hasn't seen the point in reaching out its tendrils to wither away local shops, so all the shopfronts have their own personal flourishes. A mecca for the small business owner. Painted on signs and chalkboard proclaiming the specials of the week are dotted around at every turn.

One catches my eye above all the rest. Outside the local diner there's a sign advertising 'Fresh Pies' with a suspicious red hue bordering the crude illustration. Honestly it kind of freaks me out, perfect place to start.

I walk through the glass front door and sense memory sounds the silent jingling of a bell. Gonna have to get used to that. Nothing is going to announce my presence from now on. Kinda sad, kinda awesome. Depends on how much you want to be perceived, I guess.

Personally, I always hated having to make small talk with anyone at the store picking up some groceries. I'm only there to get my stuff, pay for it and leave. Wouldn't be doing that anymore either. Maybe I should've made the most of it.

The diner is packed out for the time, or at least I assume so. Haven't exactly gotten the full lay of the land before now. Still, something tells me this is a little suspicious. So many hungry patrons sitting eagerly at their booths. There's a general chatter of excitement. Glances towards the kitchen and back to each other. A palpable hunger in the air.

I can't smell anything with no actual nose, but anyone could see every customer salivating at the scents wafting around the place. Some clutching their knives and forks in anticipation. Gently tapping them on the table tops, urging their morning meals to come faster. Licking their chops to devour whatever's being cooked up.

Then I notice the red. Everywhere. Traces on the counter. On the stools. Sticky streaks trailing along the floor, leading to the swinging kitchen door. The frame covered in several handprints with plump chunks dripping off.

This whole fucking place is full of cannibals! They aren't even trying to hide it! Well, I guess at least feeding flesh-eaters to a ghoul isn't the worst thing. Not sure how I'm supposed to pick someone out of this nasty snarling crowd though.

I know the Sheriff said he wanted some big and juicy bodies, and there are certainly a few here to fit the bill. Finding a pair who wouldn't be missed is a good shout. And easy for the Librarian to take down. He's going to be the one who goes out to kill the creeps in the end.

Probably don't want to send him to the house of some good ol' boys, armed to the teeth with semi-automatic rifles that they just need for hunting. Not sure what happens if he dies on me, don't really want to find out. I want that TV he promised me damn it!

Maybe a couple would be better. Take them both out in a two-for-one special. Would be easier to make it look like they up and left, or else some kind of murder-suicide if things get messy.

I'd never be this cold-blooded before. Still, this needed to be done and all these cannibal fuckers could get it. Honestly, I was thinking it'd take at least half the day to find some suitable candidates. Almost disappointing really.

Then a clattering came from the kitchen, followed by a bellow of "They're ready!" Everyone's eyes lit up, muscles tensed, and jaws clenched. The greedy shitbags were almost chewing their own tongues off at the prospect. I couldn't eat anymore, and after seeing this I don't think I'd ever want to. Seriously disgusting.