An invitation

The door was flung open. Two figures rushed inside the house of 24 Star Avenue, wiping their shoes on the front mat. Rain poured down the windows and streamed through the road. Angry black clouds covered the sky. 

"Oh, you two made it home." Mom rushed towards Victoria and Dad. "I was worried with all the traffic you'd be late for dinner. It's pizza night. Hey Victoria, would you mind cutting some veggies for us? I already got the pizza's in the oven." 

"Yep. Just gotta put my stuff away." Victoria rushed upstairs to her bedroom and dumped her bag on the bed. She kicked off her shoes and rifled through her dresser table. Finally, she decided on a red top and blue jeans. After changing, she walked into the bathroom. Her soft purple towel was hanging on a hook behind the door. 

The girl buried her face into the dry fabric, squeezing her hair multiple times to get out all the water. Then she headed downstairs to help her parents in the kitchen. 

"Oh, that smells good." The aroma of pizza dough, mushrooms, cheese, olive, tomatoes, garlic, pepper and butter filled the small room. Victoria opened the fridge and began to slice cucumbers, carrots and celery. As she cut the vegetables, she began to talk. "Dad. Mom." 

"Hmm?" 

"Yes?" 

"I— may or may not— have spilled a whole paint tray on the most popular boy in school. And his shirt may have tore at the same time." It all came out in a rush of words, and she turned her deep brown eyes on the task that lay before her. But Elliot's face was at the front of her mind. 

"What?!"

 "Really?" Mom put down the magazine she was leafing through and stared at her daughter. "You're joking, right?"

"No. And I know it  sounds   bad. B-but it was fine. I have his shirt in my bag right now and I'm gonna fix it up tonight and bring it to him tomorrow. It'll be fine." She sliced a second cucumber and moved on to a carrot. "He didn't really mind, and we went to the bathroom and cleaned it up. I'll give it to him tomorrow," she repeated. 

"That sounds ok." Mom rushed over to the oven and opened the door. "Pizza's ready!" 

Victoria set the table. The constant sound of utensils slamming on the table started to give her a headache. The room felt small, and suddenly it was hard to breathe. "You know what, I'm... I'm gonna go to my room for a second." She laid the knives down and rushed upstairs. 

Closing her door tight, Victoria ran over to her bed and threw herself face down on it. 

Elliot. Elliot, Elliot, Elliot. The name sounded in her mind like a some kind of magical chant. Her eyes glazed over she pictured Elliot's face. His blue eyes looking back at her. Tilting his head so his hair could slide back. Standing up in front of the whole school. The shocked look on his face as she dropped the paint tray; the noise as it clattered to the floor. 

All these things played over and over in her mind like a movie, and she couldn't hold back a dreamy smile. 

Suddenly she shook herself, and her hand found its way to her lips as her jaw dropped. Was she falling in love with him? No, she couldn't be! She couldn't fall in love with Elliot Harper on the first day of school. He probably already had a girlfriend. So many beautiful girls chased after him he would have to choose at least one of them. 

She opened a drawer in her desk and took out a small blue box. Inside was some thread, a pair of scissors and a single needle. Her bag was lying on her dark green coverlet. Victoria unzipped the main part and grabbed out his shirt. The bottom hem had almost come off, and it sagged low. She threaded the needle and began her work.

The next day Victoria nervously walked down the hallway at Riverdale High. She clutched both her bags tightly. Her hands were sweating. Her time had come. She had to find Elliot and give him back his shirt. 

Ashley and Emmeline rushed up to her. "Hi!" 

Victoria waved. "Hello. Hey, can you guys, um... give me a minute to do something real quick? It'll only take a second." 

The two exchanged looks, then nodded eagerly. "Sure." 

"Ok. We can wait here." Emmeline patted Victoria on the back. "You go ahead and take all the time you need. No pressure." 

"Thanks," Victoria said half-heartedly. She placed her bag in her locker, hung the shirt over on arm and started off. Her eyes scanned the halls and classrooms. Finally, she found him. He was chatting with some friends in the sports hall. "—could do something. I'm sure she's super nice. I know she didn't  mean  to—" 

Victoria approached him awkwardly. "Excuse me. Elliot?" 

He spun around at the mention of his name. "Oh! Victoria. You fixed it?"

She nodded, and took a few steps back before beckoning him away from his friends. "This'll only take a second guys," Elliot reassured them. He followed Victoria. 

"Oh, I can't believe you sewed it up!" he exclaimed as she handed him his property. "This is awesome. Thanks so much." 

Victoria felt heat rise to her cheeks. "It's fine. Whatever." She turned to go, but he grabbed her arm. She turned around, slowly. 

He dropped his hand, and she stepped towards him. "Yes?" 

"Are you free tomorrow after school? Maybe we could... hang out? Ah, I mean—uh, what I mean is—" he paused. "What I'm trying to say is—" 

"You want me to come over." Victoria folded her arms, and then she smiled a small smile. "Sure. Four o' clock?" 

"Ok." 

"Cool." 

They stood, awkwardly, waiting for the other to speak. "Ok, well, I'll come over and we can... hang out." Victoria nodded, and then walked away. She couldn't help the blush that slowly crept up the sides of her neck and face. She desperately wanted to look back, but she knew she couldn't as laughter sounded behind her.