Sovereign

The soft afternoon breeze swept the autumn leaves on the pavements of Olde Marmalade Hill. 

A house laid in its centre; a grand house of marble and stone and stained glass.

A lone soldier guarded its gates. His chin turned up towards the sunrays, high and mighty a soldier was he. Sweat trickled down his neck, soaked by the heavy blue he adorned. 

As light slowly slipped away, a pitter-patter of bones and shallow breaths met the guard by his feet. Looking down, the guard was perturbed by the sight in front of him. Knelt on all fours was a frail man—no, this was hardly a man. A sack of bones. Old Bones.

"State your business here, Old Bones."

"I seek an audience with your sovereign," Old Bones croaked. 

The guard stifled his grunt, "She is away," he looked up from Old Bones, lifting his chin back to face what little light still shone on the sky, "What might you be seeking?"

"Penance."

At an instant, the gates opened and in one motion, the guard turns to the manor.

"Come," He said.

Old Bones picked himself up and pitter-pattered in through the gates, following suit. Old Bones and the guard moved past the archway and into a room; a great room. With a mighty throne to boast. 

Old Bones stared in ache, Penance, sat atop it.

"What is it you seek with me?" Her voice low, reverberated through the great empty room.

"My child," Old Bones started.

His skinny hand reached out, agony rose in his plea, "My Penance. My darling, Nancy."

"If it is Penance you seek, I'm afraid your child lays with the worms now," She said, coldly.

"There is no Penance here. There is only Sin."