Part 17-An Accusation

Hassan sat in his room, staring out of the window into nothingness. His gaze was oblivious to the panorama that could be glimpsed from there. The majestic mountains, their peaks abode of clouds, the verdant valley below, and the sinuous movement of the river, did not register in his brain. He sat frozen, akin to a statue carved out of stone, his beautiful face expressionless, and his gaze turned inwards to a vision that only he could see.

That afternoon he had buried Salima with his own hands alongside his stillborn son. As the Earth had embraced them in her arms, giving them the final resting place, he had a feeling that he was burying his heart with them forever. From henceforth, he would live without one. The Hassan who laughed, sang, played pranks, and was generally a mischievous fellow, was gone forever, leaving in his place an empty shell of a man whose lips would nevermore widen into a smile. Life seemed to him a long and tedious journey, like the one through a desolate desert, devoid of even an oasis. Gone was the feeling of happiness at the prospect of raising a family, the joy of living with the one he loved, the delight in watching her perform her little wifely duties. How would he continue to live without her presence in his life? What cruel hand of Fate had written his destiny, his kismet? To promise him so much, and then to take away everything in a fell swoop?

His reverie was broken when Miriam entered the room, a plateful of food in her hand. She placed it carefully near him, then sat by his side.

"You haven't eaten since yesterday, Son. Have a little something to blunt the pang of hunger," she said, placing a hand on his arm.

"We always ate together, Mother. How can I eat alone?" he replied in a voice hoarse with suppressed tears.

"Salima isn't coming back, dear. Get this into your head. You have a long life before you," noted Miriam, trying to make her son face the harsh reality.

"Here," she took a morsel of bread and offered it to him.

Hassan watched it in fascination as if she were holding out a snake. Then, slowly shook his head.

"Maybe, I'll try to eat on the morrow or the day after. At the moment I'm afraid that food would be stuck in my throat."

Miriam let out a deep sigh of defeat. She knew him well. He was as stubborn as a mule. If he decided on anything, he wouldn't listen to anyone, not even to his mother. With painful movements, she rose to go, shaking her head at the futility of trying to make him see reason. It was better to let him mourn the loss of his love for now.

The next day passed very much like the previous one, with Hassan spending the greater part of it hiding in his room, away from the gaze of the world, lost in the thoughts of Salima and the days that they had spent together.

Slowly, the days turned into weeks and the weeks into months.

Hassan picked up a cloth and dusted the goods displayed in his shop. Months had passed since Salima's death. He had been living a life of sorts. The business could no longer be neglected, for not only his, but his mother's livelihood too depended on it. In a way, it was heaven-sent, for he sought solace in his work.

Recently, his younger brother had joined the family business, lessening his burden a little. Hassan watched as the boy dealt with a customer, making a profitable sale. A few more days, he thought, and his brother would pick up the basics of business. Maybe, he would then extend his business, buy a fleet of camels, and trade his goods with distant lands.

Valli nodded as Neelanjana slept an uneasy sleep through the day and then into the night. Her vigil was a tough one, keeping an eye on the sick girl.

It was around midnight that a murmuring sound woke her from her doze.

"Water....." Neelanjana whispered through cracked lips.

Valli sprang to her feet, fetching the bowl of water and dripping a little into her mouth. She drank greedily, the poison having wreaked havoc with her insides, making it burn like hot coals.

"Have some of this potion," Valli offered the medicine the doctor had left for her. It smelled unpleasant enough to make her feel worse, but she obediently took the cup and drained it. Fortunately, it lessened the burning sensation and Neelanjana relaxed for the first time that day.

"What happened to me?" she croaked, curious to find herself in that condition.

"The doctor said that you were poisoned," replied Valli. "Don't you remember it?"

Neelanjana shook her head, frowning.

"I only remember drinking a glass of milk and going to sleep," she said, trying to think through the haze in her brain.

"Madhulika!" she exclaimed suddenly, and her friend raised an eyebrow.

"What about her?"

"She brought the milk....." replied Neelanjana, her tone full of insinuations.

"Oh yes. She brought a glass for Lakshmi and me too. Seeing that she isn't the most amiable of women, I thought it strange and asked her as much. She said that it was to make sure that we were full of energy the next day for the final rehearsal."

"Do you think she poisoned my cup?"

"I don't know, Neelu, and I think you should think twice before accusing her without proof. She will make a deadly adversary."

"Rest now," Valli advised. "I'll let Menaka know."

Menaka was overjoyed at the news. She had been praying for it, and also that the prince shouldn't turn up meanwhile, demanding to see Neelanjana. The girl needed weeks to recover from her ordeal. It was her bad luck that she couldn't attend the celebrations at the palace.

"How're you feeling, Neelu?" she asked.

"Like death, my lady. Valli said that I had been poisoned?" Neelanjana was curious to know what Menaka thought of it.

"Yes, dear. That's what the doctor said. Do you suspect anyone? Don't be afraid. You can share it with me." Menaka's shrewd eyes were reading the girl's face.

"No....no....I'll let you know if I remember anything," Neelanjana stuttered, wondering if she could trust anyone here. After all, Madhulika had been with Menaka for years, while she was comparatively new at the mansion. Why should she believe her accusations?

Menaka left the room, her mind working overtime. The girl knew more than she was letting out. Well, it was up to her to find out the truth of the matter, which she would, sooner or later. For now, she had a dance recital to rehearse for the upcoming celebrations.