Chapter 1

Thousands of years ago, two brothers stood on opposite sides of the battlefield, one fought for peace while the other wanted violence. They were a set of twins who were raised by their separated parents after a law had been broken and one was taken to live in the mountains while the other grew up in the peaceful lands of their kings and queens. The one who lived like royalty was the younger of the twins while the one who lived in isolation was the oldest, both of them struggled not seeing one another and snuck out all the time up until their eleventh birthday as they took the gift of loyalty. Both of them were afraid to separate but knew if they disobeyed the gods, there was a potential chance one of them would lose something dear to them. 

The oldest was expecting a child and he was overjoyed, he would talk in his letters to his only friend and his secret brother who would receive them and plan how they could see each other. The two just never expected for the older brother to lose his wife to someone who had come from the royal lands. At first the youngest was confused, no one was to go against his orders but soon enough he worked out who had made his older brother lose his wife and that was their father who had caught onto their letters. 

By their eighteenth birthday, the twins hadn’t seen each other in seven years and during this time the youngest twin had a beautiful family, with a wife and three children while the oldest had one son who was the reason for his mother’s death. The oldest twin became angry that his brother had the perfect life and revenge filled his mind, overnight a murder had taken place through the mountains, a whole massacre of a village who were part of the royal lands. 

The younger twin had no choice but to go to war at the age of twenty-five, against the growing army of the mountains. Yes, the twins were going against each other to protect their family and anyone they cared about. The battle raged on for weeks on end, soldiers fell and families fell apart, it seemed like it was getting nowhere until a call was heard. The twins found themselves going against one another, the younger one tried to reason with his elder brother who never said a word, instead his anger took hold of him. He fought bravely unaware of what was happening, both of them until a huge light of red escaped into the skies above, halting the battle. 

Both brothers shared looks of confusion until a mystical portal opened and out stepped a huge beast with horns on their head, both brothers went to attack when they caught sight of what was in the grasp of the beast. The older brother's son was being dragged along. 

“No!” the oldest twin yelled, the beast laughed stopping barely in front of the twins, “Let him go!” he ordered, the beast only tilted its head as another appeared, a female with long blond hair, she looked directly at the oldest twin. 

“Your father killed me, so I am only returning the favour. You can blame your father for this…” 

“No, please, I will do anything. You can have the golden throne, I know where it is, please just don’t hurt my son” the oldest twin, dropped to his knees, “Please Arianna, he’s my only son” 

“Pathetic, I knew you would do this. I will allow you to say goodbye if you take his place in this curse” Arianna said with a soft tone, the oldest twin nodded. 

“Wait, brother, it’s a trap…” 

“I’m sorry but I have to do this, he’s my son. You understand, we do anything for our children” the oldest twin said, “Besides, you lead much better than I do, I’m sorry Dairrus” 

“Don’t be, I couldn’t have asked for a better brother Zalton” Darrius smiled, Zalton nodded, walking over and scooping his son into his arms. 

“Be calm my son, we will see each other again. I won’t leave you behind Raphael” 

Zalton spoke in the ancient tongue, Darrius smiled watching his brother and nephew hold each other. 

“Do not think I didn’t think about you” Arianna spoke up catching Darrius’ attention until his own son was thrown at him, he was a year older than Raphael. 

“Oh my son, what did they do? I am so sorry Donatello but know I tried to protect you” 

Zalton cried out holding his dead son, Darrius moved forward wrapping them up as Arianna laughed, a glow of light aimed straight for the family. Darrius and Zalton connected hands as they spoke the ancient words of the gods, the gifts they were taught. 

“Fly high Donatello, Raphael. We will meet again, just don’t look back. Instead focus on the future and hold onto one another, a danger is coming and only you can stop it. You will be brothers, do better than what we did. Our souls will watch over you by the dragon and snake, both will cover you. With our warning, do not turn on one another as it will only end in more heartbreak. We love you, your fathers: Zalton and Darrius” 

Just as the light connected, the two sons vanished from their father’s arms but to this day, on the same mountain stood a statue of two fathers holding one another, while their sons were in between them. Their story became a myth and legend, still learned to this day. The legend of the dragon and snake.

Although short, this was just the introduction. Stick around to find out more about this story! I hope you stick around to continue on this journey. Any thoughts/opinions are much appreciated - in fact they keep these stories going and help with updates coming quicker knowing some actually read these notes :)