Chapter 4

I walk up to the woman behind the counter. She gives Muzan a smile then looks at me with her nose raised and an obvious scowl. Is she jealous? "How can I help you today?" She asks, a hint of annoyance in her voice. Muzan notices but doesn't say anything. I can feel his eyes on me, seemingly curious about my reaction maybe.

"I'm looking for a cherry blossom design." I tell her and I watch as she takes a second to think.
She taps her chin.

"We don't have any of that design, ma'am. I'm sorry. Maybe you should try a different shop it might be out of season. You may not find that particular design anywhere. It's already the end of summer. You should've thought about that design sooner." I open my mouth to say something but Muzan speaks first.

"My love, we should try a different shop." I watch as the woman bites her lip. She's becoming angry. I smile up at Muzan and play along.

"I suppose so, my love. I know how you wanted to spend your fortune on me." I smile up at Muzan, while blushing.

"I'll spend it on you somewhere else. Let's go, Darling." He holds his arm out and I take it. Her face is red. I look outside and it's become cloudy like it might rain. We walk outside and start walking down the road. I start laughing. Unable to hold it in any longer.

"Did you see her face? It looked like she was about to explode. I didn't mean to assume you had a fortune. I just wanted to get further under her skin. The look on her face when you said 'my love'. That really ticked her off." I look up at him and see a genuine smile and it makes my heart melt. I feel butterflies in my tummy. Wow.

"She's lucky I didn't k-. I mean...argue with her further." He says, remaining calm. I can hear the frustration in his voice. It's subtle. He was going to say kill. Is he trying to pretend he's a human around me? But I already know his secret. I nod. I won't tell him I know just yet. He can tell me when he's ready. He looks down at me.

"Now, let's go into a jewelry shop because my fiancé needs an engagement ring." He says while holding my hand and grinning down at me.

Ten minutes later, we are inside a jewelry store. I look at the available rings. I ask how much and my eyes widen.

"Muzan. I don't have that much money on me." I look around for a worker. I don't see anyone. Someone snaps there fingers. I turn around to face Muzan and there's a man standing next to him. He wasn't there a moment ago. Not just a man. It's Doma again.

"Where did you come from, Doma?" I ask, curiosity in my voice as I take Muzan's hand in mine. I'm not scared, just a little nervous around this particular demon. The last time we met, he had me pinned against the wall and touching me as if he was my husband. But if the Doma works for Muzan, then I don't feel threatened. He won't let anyone hurt me. Right?

"Hello again, Sweetie." He says, chuckling. Muzan clears his throat and Doma stands straighter. Muzan is clearly unamused by our interaction. "Yes, Lord Muzan?" Doma fully serious now.

Muzan stands directly in front of Doma. Giving him a stare down. Muzan clenches his free hand into a fist.

"Muzan. I know." I say, smiling softly, looking into his eyes. I can feel Doma looking at me. Doma looks at Muzan, trying to hide his fear.

"You know what, Lyla?" He asks, peering down at me. I can see his eyes. He's pissed but trying to continue hiding it.

"I know you're both demons." I state in a calm voice. Watching his reaction. Will he be mad? He doesn't look very thrilled. He raises an eyebrow and leans down towards me slightly. He looks at our intertwined fingers.

"You already know the truth, and your not afraid?" His tone betrays his emotion. He's surprised. I blush at his surprise. I take satisfaction in this revelation.
I nod, giggling.

"No. I'm not afraid. You've never given me a reason to be afraid. I don't judge you by what you are...I judge you by how you treat me." I cup his cheek, blushing up at him. I look back at Doma and his jaw has dropped open slightly. He's also been taken by surprise.

"Is that weird? Why are you both looking at me like that?" I quickly lower my hand, turning my back to them as I chuckle softly. A hand pats my head. I look back and it's Muzan. A grin on his face.

My heart beats faster. "That's not weird. It's smart. You're a very kind and considerate young woman. I'm glad you think that way. That you can...easily accept me as your fiancé. I'm glad you're not afraid of me." He lowers his hand. "Also, money is not an issue. I've been around for a very long time. Pick out the ring you really want. It'll be yours."

"Are...Are you sure, Muzan?" I ask again anyway.

"Doma. Leave us." Doma nods and suddenly vanishes. My eyes widen. "Cool." I look around, impressed.

"Pick out a ring. Then I want to show you something, Lyla." I nod, looking at my options.

" I nod, looking at my options