Realise

Chapter 14

Lucas' POV

"Everything was just so hard after he left and Ethan blamed me for our dad's death. He always shot jabs at me, saying that I monopolized our dad. I suffered so much."

I remembered the time April snapped at her brother when he came to her house.

"Ethan regrets it." I softly said.

She turned to me abruptly, with a look of disbelief on her face.

Her puffy bloodshot eyes just broke my heart.

"What makes you think that Ethan regrets it? You don't know." she sounded angry this time.

"Ethan came to explain the reason you two were acting like that towards each other. He said that he made a mistake and he regrets it so much." I said.

"Did he tell you what he did?" she questioned while clinging to my shirt.

"No, he didn't." I said, holding her teary gaze.

She didn't respond and just put her head down, crying into my chest, until she slept.

I woke up around 6am and made my way to the couch in the living room to sit down.

I had no idea what April was going through that time. I just realised it. I should have been there when she needed me the most. I was so stupid, thinking that ignoring what was going on would help. I was a shitty friend to April.

I snapped out my thoughts and looked up when April called me.

She walked slowly to me and squatted, facing me.

"What's wrong?" she said as she cupped my cheek.

"Let me get you something to drink first." she said and attempted to leave but I pulled her back.

"Why did you wake up?" I asked, looking into her glassy eyes.

"Lucas..." she said, looking worried.

"I think I made a mistake." I said.

"When?" she asked.

"I wasn't there for you, when you needed me. I-"

"No, no, no. Lucas, back then, you were there. You may think you didn't do enough for me but you did. I know you're also doing your best for me now. I'm telling you the truth." she paused then said, "I only told you because I wanted you to know. I didn't mean for you to feel this way."

"April." I said.

"Hmm?"

"I love you. I should have been with you sooner because I've never felt like this for anyone else." I said and I meant it.

"I love you." she said with a smile creeping unto her face.

She bent forward to embrace me as I pulled her up to the couch. Then, she rested her head on my lap and mumbled, "I'm not going to work until the afternoon, okay?", before she slept off.

****

"Lulu." I heard her whisper in my ear and I woke up.

"Good morning." I said.

"It's past noon." she chuckled.

"Come on, go to your apartment and get ready for work." she said.

"No, I want to stay here." I whined.

She basically pushed me out when I stopped the door, telling her to wait.

"What?" she questioned suspiciously.

"I'll see you in a bit. I love you." I chuckled and cupped her cheek, giving her a forehead kiss.

In about forty-five minutes, I walked out of my bedroom, on my way to her apartment, when I saw her eating in my kitchen.

We got to work and we both really busy so we didn't get to see each other.

In the evening, Matthew showed up at my office and we were talking when April walked in.

"Miss Kepner, how are you?" Matthew asked her.

"I'm fine, and you can just call me April." she grinned.

"Sure, April." he said.

After she dropped some files on my table, the three of us ended up talking together?

"So, I got a letter from a secret admirer this morning, and-" Matthew explained, but he was interrupted by April's laughter.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just think it's funny that people our age send secret admirer letters. Well, it's kind of cute, though." she said.

"Of course it is." Matthew chuckled.

"So, the handwriting didn't match with any of my colleagues, even though I'd hoped it would match Michelle's writing." he said.

"Michelle's the girl he's in love with." I whispered to April.

"Matt, you won't even be able to find the owner of the handwriting because obviously, she changed her writing just for that letter." I said.

"That's why it's a secret admirer." April added.

"Oh my gosh, that's true. Wait, does everyone have a second handwriting?" he asked.

"I don't know about everyone, but I do." I said.

"Write it down, I want to see." Matthew said and I wrote in that second writing for him.

"Wait..I have a question for you guys." Matthew said with a suspicious look flickering across his face.

"Yes, Matt, we're dating." April said.

"I knew it. Congrats." he chuckled.

The bed scene where they talked about her dad is something I had planned in my head for a long time before I wrote it.

Bringing my thoughts to life felt nice but it was also sad, obviously.

Vote, comment, share and follow.
Happy reading!
next chapter: Beach