Everything

Chapter 21

April's POV

After a few hours, my beautiful baby niece, Alison, was born. Lucas had to leave and in the afternoon, my mum told me that it was really okay for me to go, so I reluctantly took a cab to my apartment.

I stumbled as I was about to reach for my door knob. I was so tired. Just then, Lucas came out. I held his arm.

"Can I talk to you?" I mumbled.

"Of course." he said.

We went into my apartment and he stood there, resting on the counter.

I love him too much to continue with this stupid fight. I walked to him and held him from behind.

"You start up a fight, ignore me when I try to fix things and then, you start acting like this out of nowhere. Why are you punishing me?" he asked.

"I just want to honest with you." I said.

"Go on."

"I acted like that because I'm just very sensitive about my progress. I felt like crap when I was in Chicago. I saw everyone else moving on with their lives but I was so stuck. When I got here, you helped me out, I was scared that I depended on you too much and now when I want to do something important to me, you say to wait two weeks..."

"I'm sorry, April." he turned to me, "I didn't know-"

"I didn't tell you. I just don't want us to end, Lucas." I said.

"We won't...and regarding what you said about depending on me, you actually do a lot on your own. Also, depending on me is okay sometimes, I'll always be here." he smiled.

"Oh my God, it's been hell without you." he whispered.

I lifted myself up to hug him.

"I love you so much, Lulu." I pressed a kiss to his cheek, "I don't think it has ever felt that good to call you 'lulu'." I chuckled.

"I love you more." he replied and I kissed him. He deepened the kiss as I held onto him tighter, his hands travelled from my back into my hair. I pulled away to catch my breath.

"I need to get ready to go back to the hospital." I said.

"Oh yeah. I was going to work anyway."

"I'll probably be here when you're back though." I told him.

I went back and Hazel came around to see Macey. It was nice, you know, being there for my sister. I got to talking with Ethan too. It was high time we resolved our issues.

My brother took me home later and I saw that Lucas was already there.

"I can't believe you got here first." I said but soon realized that he was on the phone. I went into the kitchen for a snack.

"Can she come in for an interview next week?" Lucas asked, still on the phone.

He's already looking for a replacement....that's good.

"Of course. Bye." he said and hung up.

"Who was that?" I asked, walking towards him.

"I was talking to personnel. I need a new secretary." he simply said, "So how's Macey?" he asked.

"She's good. She can even go home the day after tomorrow." I replied.

"Have you talked to Hazel about the job?" he questioned.

"She actually was at the hospital today. I can start next week but the pay isn't the best thing. It's okay though, they're training me too and I was hired when I have like zero experience in the field." I said.

"Don't worry about the pay. You're just starting this."

"Oh my God. This is a lot." I let out a breath.

"You'll be fine, trust me." he chuckled.

In the following days, I went shopping with Lucas, we went on a karaoke date too, on one day, I hung out with Adam, I did more research for the job and I met with Hazel's boss. I felt really good about the entire thing.

*****
"So why can't I take you there again?" Lucas asked me as he sat on the bed, leaning on the headboard.

"It's my first day at work and I just feel like going by myself. I'll take a cab. It's fine." I chuckled and tied my hair up.

I walked towards him and kissed him."I'll see you later." I smiled.

"Bye, Kepner."

The building wasn't strange, I had been here to see Hazel before. My office was even closed to hers. I didn't have any particular tasks since it was just my first day, not until the afternoon when Hazel and I went to see a client. I had lunch with her before we got back to the office.

I know I told Lucas not to pick me up but I wore the wrong shoes that day and my feet were killing me.

I went home myself and took off my shoes immediately. I went to Lucas' apartment but he wasn't there either. It had started raining so I wondered he had gone to.

I went downstairs and saw him at the door, looking at the rain.

"Let's go upstairs." I said, nudging him.

"Let's go outside." he replied with a smile. He led me out and we started playing in the rain.

The rain pattered gently on the ground.

It was everything it was supposed to be. We danced in the rain like we didn't have a care in the world. When was the beginning of us?, when we met in elementary school?, when we met again six years after school?, when he confessed to me?

I'm not sure.

and that's a wrap🤍
First, I'm just really grateful to all readers of "the beginning of us". To bring my idea to life has been the best thing and I'm going to miss April and Lucas so much. I didn't feel like adding it to the book but, just so you know, April and Lucas will get married in the near future.

Bye pookies!<3.....see you in my next story