Beginning

Chapter 10

Lucas' POV

An unexpected call woke me up that day.

Hazel Lockhart

Why was April's friend calling me?

"He,-" I said before she interrupted.

"Wait, Lucas. I have something to say and I need to say it now before I get too drunk to even remember." she said.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Tell her. Tell her before it's too late." she stated.

"Tell who? Tell what?" I asked, playing dumb.

"I don't have time for you to beat around the bush, just tell her, okay? If you don't tell her, she'll never know." she pointed out.

"Okay, I will. Thanks." I said.

"Anytime."

Hazel was right. I pretended that it was okay to leave things the way they were but I needed to tell April how I felt. I went into her apartment after brushing and knocked on her bedroom door.

"Why so early in the morning? Let me sleep, Lucas." she muttered, probably still half asleep.

"Morning, Kepner." I chuckled.

"Now, you just come into my apartment whenever you want." she mumbled, then continued, "The door is open, come in."

I went in and saw her still lying down, her hair tied with a few strands falling over her face.

"You wanna trespass with me?" I asked calmly, sitting down.

"What the hell?" she laughed, sitting up.

"Let's go to our high school, today." I said.

"Why would we do that?" she asked.

"Will you just come with me?"

"I'll think about it." she said.

"April." I said.

"I'll go but you have to tell me the reason when we come back today." she stated.

"I will." I grinned.

"Now, get out. I want to sleep." she said, placing her hand on the back of her neck.

What if things don't work out the way I want them to? I had to stop thinking and just go for it.

After a few hours, for the first time after six years, we were on our way to our school.

We got in then, April and I strolled towards the field and she sat on the bleachers.

"Come to think of it, I'm such a supportive friend." she said, looking up at me.

"In what way exactly?"

"I would sit here after school, waiting for you to finish football practice." she pointed out.

"Yeah, you only came here because you wanted to flirt with Cole." I chuckled.

"Oh my gosh, how could you say that?" she smacked my arm.

"It's kind of true, though." she said.

We went inside and to the indoor basketball court and April just started skipping around.

"This is nice. I don't know why you wanted to come here but it was a good idea." she said and picked up a ball.

She passed it to me and said, "Teach me."

I gave her a puzzled look.

"Just teach me how to make shots." she said.

Her expressions had me genuinely confused. I thought she had played before. Did she just want me to teach her?

"Get into position first."

She stood while flexing her knees and titled her upper body, holding the ball.

"What are you doing?" I laughed.

"Just shut up and correct me, okay?" she chuckled.

I moved closer and kept the ball in line with her elbow.

"Separate your feet." I said.

"Loosen up. It's not that serious." I chuckled then placed my hands on her shoulders.

She attempted five times before she finally got it.

"So what am I getting?" she smiled.

"I'll surprise you." I smirked.

We made our way to the gym and saw prom decorations.

"Do you regret it?" she asked me in a low tone.

"What's that?"

"You know, you missed your prom because your dad was getting remarried that day. Do you regret missing it?" she asked.

"Yes, I do. I wanted to be there that day," I paused, then continued, "with you."

"Yeah, I wanted you to be there too." she grinned.

"Dance with me?" she asked.

I wasn't even given a chance to reply before security came around and we rushed out of there.

We made it out of the school without getting caught and rushed into my car.

I stopped before our apartment building because I wanted to tell April everything.

"Why'd you stop?" she asked.

"Let's walk." I said.

We got out of the car and started walking then I said,"We've been friends for a long time but there were times when I wanted us to be more."

She stopped in her tracks after hearing that and looked at me.

"I like you, April."

"Do you?" she asked, her voice, soft.

"Yes, a lot." I replied.

"Since when?" she asked.

"The beginning." I told her.

"Huh?" she looked confused.

She had to stop with the questions. I really wanted to know if she felt the same way.

"I think I always liked you but it was serious when I found you after the whole Aaron si-"

She shut me up by with a quick kiss on my lips.

"I like you too, Lucas." she smiled.

I wanted to kiss the shit out of her...

I locked eyes with her and leaned forward, holding her cheek as our lips collided in a kiss that meant so much to the both of us.

My hands dropped to her waist as April pulled me closer with my shirt and deepened the kiss. Nothing made me happier than finally being with her after all this time.

She pulled away after a while and covered her mouth, laughing a little.

"Is this weird for you?" she asked.

"No, not at all. I guess I've fallen too hard." I chuckled.

"Let's go." she smiled.

We locked fingers, walking home.

Tysm for reading!
next chapter: Five more minutes