extra: agape

a melody of arhythmic clicks echo sharply off of four plain walls, cutting through the chilled air like a blade. a breath of air puffs through ever so slightly parted lips, rising in a cloud of cold vapor. the chamber is baren, characterized by perfect silence aside from soft, even breathing.

that sound of clicking blades, and the mild shredding sound of ice being torn apart in the most beautiful way. in many ways, yanagi envies the plane of ice beneath him, carved into and scarred beyond recognition, and yet it was still one of the most beautiful sights he's ever seen.

no matter how many blades of steel scrape across the surface, it remains unyielding, and yet still just as inviting as a black canvas to an artist. that's what it is, after all, a blank canvas ready to see even the quietest man's single greatest method of expression.

it's the only place he's ever felt freedom, surrounded by cold air and balanced carefully on thin blades that glide effortlessly across the ice. his troubles, his appearance, his personality, none of them matter here. the ice doesn't care and that's exactly why he loves it. here and now in this empty ice rink, nothing that's happened in the past months can truly touch him.

"oi, yanagi."

the familiar, gravelly voice breaks him out of his reverie, nearly sending him stumbling forward in shock as he skids to a stop, sending a spray of ice particles scattering across the smooth surface before him. yanagi finds himself met with the sight of isafumi pushing open the small gate to the rink, slipping out on his own skates.

"isafumi, did you come here to practice? i was just finishing up."

"you know i don't practice here. you shouldn't be either; got your cast off three days ago and you're already back at it."

"then why are you-"

"listen," isafumi cuts him off. "my little brother mentioned the christmas event and i know you're looking forward to going..."

"you're aware i'm not going with anyone," yanagi replies, brows furrowing slightly in confusion.

(name) was the first person he told that yuki yoshikawa had rejected him when he asked her to the event. it definitely hurt if he had to be honest, though he eventually pushed through.

"yes, you do."

a beat of silence passes between them, characterized by the growing confusion on yanagi's face.

"it's me."

"oh."

that's it. the one and only word yanagi finds himself capable of summoning immediately. there are a thousand other things he could have said, and yet, that's the one he chose. it's a response of shock really, not so much an acknowledgment that he understands, but that he heard what was said.

this was (name's) brother. he considered him to be a good friend, if not his second best, but never once has he managed to fool himself into thinking that the other might feel the same way about him. not a single time in all the years they've known one another.

"isafumi," yanagi murmurs ever so softly, head inclining slightly to the side as his lips finally curl up into the smile he's felt growing quietly behind all those questions clouding his mind.

"so, do i have your permission to take you to the christmas event?"

━━━━━━━━

note: so i thought it would
be nice to share a small
moment between my oc,
isafumi, and yanagi.

i've considered making
a story for these two. if
anyone is interested in
reading, make sure to
stay tuned!