xxix. the sultan's return

Istanbul, Turkey

Kelebek Hatun had thought it would take longer, and yet Hürrem Sultan was already beginning to rise once again.

Not only did Defne report an argument between the two Sultanas outside the Harem corridor, but that Nigar Kalfa was following the Ruthenian as a servant and had reportedly written and sent letter to the Sultan on her behalf.

It seemed Hürrem had put Kelebek on the back foot once again, given she now had a Kalfa in her back pocket while Kelebek had neither an Agha or Kalfa among those loyal to her.

If Kelebek wanted to better influence the Harem, she would need one. Yet, Sümbül Agha was far too fearful to dedicate himself to one Sultana or another, and the only ones who truly exercised any great influence was himself, Nigar Kalfa, Daye Hatun and Meltem Kalfa.

With the two other women already in the employ of a Sultana and the Valide respectively, that left only Meltem.

From their interactions around the Sultan's disappearance and Kiraz Hatun's delivery, Kelebek could tell the Kalfa had a level of respect for how she had held herself amongst the chaos.

Yet, though it undoubtedly helped, respect and loyalty were not the same.

Kelebek had heard Meltem Kalfa had been present at the births of the Sultan's eldest children, Şehzade Mahmud and Sultana Raziye, even stepping in during the latter's case when the babe was in breach.

Her pregnancy would perhaps be the best way to draw the Kalfa in closer.

"Defne," Kelebek said, half-distracted by Sultana Zeynep's sweet giggles sounding from the room the opposite side of the room as Banu played with her, "go and find me Meltem Kalfa. Please tell her to come as soon as is continent, as I have a request to ask of her."

Defne Hatun nodded, her dark, intelligent eyes shining with understanding.

Meltem Kalfa arrived within ten minutes. Her quick arrival showed respect, but its lack of immediacy showed an unwillingness to put Kelebek above her duties. It told the blonde Hatun where her priorities lay, and how much progress she would need to make.

The Kalfa inclined her head when she arrived. "Kelebek Hatun."

"Meltem Kalfa, thank you for coming so swiftly," Kelebek said, toying with the side of her pink diamond headpiece. It drew the other woman's eyes to it, and reminded her of the favour Kelebek possessed. "I have a request for you."

"I am listening, Hatun," the older woman said, dark red hair pulled tightly back from her face.

"I have heard of your role in the births of the Sultan's eldest children," Kelebek said, placing a hand upon her own protruding stomach. "I find myself more nervous for this pregnancy than Zeynep's, it feels different. I think I would feel assured if you were in the room with me. Would that be possible?"

Meltem Kalfa gazed at her assessingly, eyes darting between her stomach and her face. "Yes, Kelebek Hatun. It would be."

The blonde Hatun offered her the widest, most innocently joyful smile she could summon. A picture of a sweet angel, no doubt.

Meltem Kalfa seemed to loosen her tight hold on herself at such a look. "It is normal for expectant mothers to be fearful, Hatun. But make sure not to stress yourself too greatly, for the sake of both yourself and your child."