[49] - it doesn't make you a coward, it makes you human

BLAKE
𖤐

Later that day, Detective Bane let us crash at her house and we didn't take long to fall into deep sleep.

We were all tired and no one was in the mood to talk about, well, everything. Especially me. The one with Zach was enough for the day.

While we might not have said it, word for word, I know that tension between me and Zach has relieved a bit. I understand now why it was so hard for him to be around me, I mean I practically made his life hell without even knowing.

But hopefully we can move on from that, the last thing I need after this whole mess is to still have some kind of loose end to deal with. I just want to shove it into the past and think about the future.

Jeez, now I sound like one of those motivational quotes from Pinterest. I am I still drunk? That's gotta be it. Or maybe I was brainwashed by aliens, either would be more believable than me actually becoming an optimistic person.

Unfortunately, it's already the day after and I'm pretty sure I can't escape the talk yet again. So, accepting my fate, I make my way towards the kitchen.

Ironically, there he stands making breakfast like some old dad of five kids. The dark circles under his eyes only add up to the whole look.

"Where is everyone? I think I slept for a day" at least it feels like that and while my brain is grateful, my back is screaming.

Boyd puts down his mug, "On their way back."

"Back here? Where did they go?" these people must have got some energy drink I haven't heard of yet, no way they were all up that early.

"Back to New Jersey." he clarifies.

"What?" my face drops.

"People can't just pause their lives, kiddo, besides after we wrap up things with the lawyer and the case, we will be back off to London." Boyd rubs his hands together, cleaning the flour off his hands.

"We're leaving?" this doesn't make any sense.

He sighs, "Don't worry, i thanked Flo myself for letting you stay there. I know you hate dealing with that part so I took care of it and told them to go"

"I don't understand." why now, just why.

"The day I showed up at Flo's house and told you what was happening, Russel took you outside. I shouldn't have, but I overheard you two talking. You saying that I was going to leave you for Lilah and—"

I cut him off, "I don't want to talk about that."

"Blake." he forces me to meet his gaze, which is both tired and in disbelief, "I would never, ever, even think of leaving you. Not for Lilah, not for someone else, not for anything. I'm sorry if I made you feel like I would, but you're not getting rid of me that easily."

"But you like her, you deserve to be happy. I've forbidden you from getting a life for yourself for long enough, it's not fair." I shrug, giving him my best 'it's fine' expression.

"You're right I do like Lilah, but it doesn't compare to the love I have for you kiddo. I know you don't like to hear this shit, but I have to say it. You're like a daughter to me, Blake, always been even if for you I'm not—"