Coping

"Come on," Isabel said. "Let's go to the bookstore. My treat." Simon smiled at her gratefully. He thanked her for her offer and agreed to accompany her there.

"Just give me a minute to use the toilet."

"Sure."

She waited for him on the couch while he went to the bathroom. The girl was very pleased with herself. Everything was going as planned. Rob has done what she asked. Christina was no longer in the way. Now Simon was going to be hers and hers alone.

Isabel was giddy with excitement but she quickly hid her emotions when the boy returned.

Randolph was waiting in the limousine parked nearby. Isabel quickly told him where to take them and started chatting with Simon, putting all her effort into lifting his mood.

It made him smile. He started feeling a bit better from being in her company.  Soon they arrived at the bookstore.

Isabel kept an eye on Simon and made sure to follow him around closely. She refused to let the boy out of her sight. He had no idea why she was so fixated, being as focused as he was on finding a good new book.

Once he made his selection, the teen got his wallet out. He headed to the cashier, ready to pay for his book.

"No, I'll pay for you. Like I said, it's my treat."

Isabel gave him a warm smile as she took the book, ignoring his protestation. She purchased the book for the boy, loving how he blushed.

"Thanks," he murmured.

She replied "You're welcome. How about we get something to eat together now?"

"Sounds great."

He followed her to her favourite diner. She quickly recommended a few dishes and he picked one of them, deciding to trust her judgement. It made her beam. Isabel was glad that he listened to her. It bode well for their upcoming relationship that he didn't know about yet.

She told him "You know, I never got to properly apologize to you."

"Apologize?"

"Yes. For how I treated you back then. I really am sorry I was such a bitch."

Simon sighed.

"There's no need for that," he said. "Just you being nice to me now is more than enough. I'm not mad at you about all that stuff anymore."

"Really?"

"Why else would I be hanging out with you now?"

"Fair point."

The two smiled at each other. Isabel then insisted on ordering a side dish of Truffle fries for Simon. While they were waiting for it, someone else turned up.

Loren sat down next to Isabel, saying "What is this? Are you two together now?" she teased.

Simon blushed. He was uncomfortable and both girls could see it, knowing his reason for feeling tense. Loren did not say anything about their history and neither did Isabel, thinking that it was not her place to bring the past up.

Isabel frowned and asked "What are you doing here today?"

"Oh, I was just getting some new panties. Here. Look at these. Got them on a discount." Loren proceeded to show Isabel and Simon her new lingerie, with the boy blushing more and averting his gaze shyly.

Isabel rolled her eyes at her friend.

"What are you getting those sexy panties for, anyway? Thought you were saving yourself for your special someone."

"I am. And he will be mine soon."

Hearing this made Isabel raise her pretty eyebrows. The tall brunette queried "Who is he?"

"It's a surprise," said Loren. Then she ordered her own food, before starting to interrogate Simon. "Sooooo. Like I asked you earlier, are you and Isabel together now?" She was already aware of Isabel's plan but was feigning ignorance.

"Oh, um, she just took me here to cheer me up."

"Cheer you up? For what?"

Simon shifted uncomfortably under her scrutinizing eyes.

"Well, you know, Christina cheated on me..."

"I did not know that! My, my. That is such a terrible thing to do!"

"Yeah, it hurt like hell. But I think I'm doing okay right now. All thanks to Isabel." Isabel smiled proudly at this. She was delighted to see how her presence made him happier.
The girl then asked if he'd like to watch a movie with her.

"Okay, but I'm paying for the tickets," he said.

"What? No!"

"You're already paying for lunch. It's only right that I pay for the tickets."

Isabel protested a little before finally agreeing.

"Alright," she said, "but only this time. After this, I'm paying for everything." And she meant it too.

Loren tagged along, buying the popcorn. The two girls and Simon enjoyed the movie together and Isabel found herself feeling more hopeful by the second.

The object of her desire was quickly getting over the pain of his break up. He was recovering fast - faster than she dared hope for. It was clear he still wasn't entirely over it yet but he was well on the way there.

Once the movie was over, the three headed out of the theater.

Loren bid them goodbye and went to do some more shopping. Isabel got Randolph to drive Simon home before taking her back to the mansion.

As soon as the girl was home, she confided in her mother.

Beatrice was amused to hear her daughter talk about how cute Simon was. She said "When are you going to ask him out?"

"Probably after a week, to make sure I'm not just a rebound."

"That is a good idea."

The mother and daughter almost started planning the wedding before realizing that they were ahead of themselves.

When Tyler returned home, Isabel and her mom didn't tell him what she did. They knew he wouldn't approve of all the manipulative, being too pure-hearted for scheming, even though he did see through one many years ago.

He greeted them, entering his room right after to put away his briefcase.

Beatrice deliberated for a moment before following him in. She kissed him and said "Our daughter is gonna get a boyfriend soon."

Her husband raised his eyebrows. "Oh really?"

"Yeah. Christina already broke up with him," Beatrice said.

"Not because Isabel forced her to, right? Please tell me our daughter didn't do anything like that."

"Don't worry. Isabel didn't make her break up with him."

"Good."

Author's Note : How did you find this one now?