Small Town

CHAPTER 2 MADDY - SMALL TOWN

I live in a small town there are only 3 schools an elementary school, a middle school, and a high school. Which is where I go to. They are all named after the town Cloudy White. I walk to school and it only takes about ten minutes to get there. The streets are clear because it's early in the morning. I check my phone at 6:30 AM. I hate waking up this early just to go to school.

When I arrive at school I walk to the front where a few people are standing outside the doors waiting for the bell to ring. Some people are talking and sitting on the low wall outside. We get told not to sit on it but we do it anyway. School starts in about ten minutes. I sit down and wait for Danny's mom to drop him off. He's never on time so I'm sure he's going to be late. After a few minutes of waiting outside the bell finally rings. There are more students than there were before now. I have to fight through a crown of Teenagers that smell like sweat from sitting in the Tennessee August heat. I always feel like I'm going to get trampled trying to get into these doors. Sometimes I'm happy that it is a small town because if more students were trying to enter these doors I think I would end up punching someone every time or I will commit murder.

I enter the school it looks like nothing has changed. My parents would always say how they need to redecorate because they have never updated the school's form when they went here, but they finally put smart boards in some of the classrooms last year. I walk down the hallway and looking at the empty walls that have the school colors light brown and white, with some of the school posters that were put up last year. The floor is covered in tiles with the same colors on them.

I walk up to the cluster of brown lockers. I stopped at the locker that was given to me freshman year. As I get my locker open and start putting stuff from my backpack in it. I heard Danny run up to me out of breath.

"I'm not late this time" he jokes.

"Shocker" I joked laughing at him. In this town, Danny is my only friend since Emma who was apart of the group moved away at the begging of the summer, because one of her parents got a job in Missouri and Danny moved here from Oklahoma, just a few years back.

After a few seconds, he regains his normal breathing and asks looking at his phone waiting for a text or something. "So did you do anything interesting during the summer?"

"No not really I didn't even leave Cloudy White." say truthfully. We normally don't travel during the summer.

"Ouch nothing happens here"

"Yeah tell me about it. Just feel lucky you haven't lived here your whole life."

"Oh I am..." he said says excitedly.

"So what did you do MR. I Leave This Town Every Summer?"

" I just went back home to visit family friends" his mood seemed to shift a bit. "Well see ya later if we have any classes together." he changed the subject.

"Um... okay bye see you later..." I say a bit confused he walks away seeming like he was in a hurry.

I checked my schedule for the 100th time to double-check the class that I'm in. yay English, my least favorite subject. I walk up to the class I see classroom number 307. I enter and I sit in the back of the class. The rooms are all really small it feels like when you're in the back of class you're still in the front. I always feel bad for the kids that get stuck in the front, because they have to smell the teacher's breath for an hour. This class always goes by the slowest. When the class starts the teacher walks in and he talks about how "he's so happy to have us in his class this year". He's obviously new since I didn't even recognize him. He does the 'introduce yourself to everyone.' it's a small town I already know everyone and their parents and pets. The entire day was the same "I'm so glad to have you in my class" now I'm just happy that the school day is over.

I wait outside for Danny to leave the school so we can walk home together. After a few minutes of waiting he walks out with a girl, he says good-bye to her. She walks in a different direction than him. He walks up to me.

"Ready?"

"Yeah. so I saw that you were talking to Amiella House" we start walking

"Yeah and..?"

"Oh, do you like her..?" I tease

"We texted a bit over the summer but I don't like her like that Maddy"

"Sure you don't" I laugh at him.

We were walking for a few minutes when we passed by one of the only stores in the town and I see a female talking to a male. I couldn't really see who she was Talking to since his back was facing me. I could see her very well she was very pretty she had long blonde hair she was also wearing a leather jacket with a crop top and shorts that shocked me. Who wears a leather jacket in August?

"What are you looking at?" Danny asked.

I look at him "oh that women over there"

"Oh her she's new here my mom was talking about it this morning on the phone with one of her girlfriends this morning."

"She looks very familiar like I've seen her before," I say.

"Well, it's a small town you've probably walked past her at the store or something and just didn't realize it before," Danny says.

"You're probably correct" I respond knowing that it wasn't it.

It didn't feel like she was someone that I "just walked past before" it feels like the moment when you're watching a movie and you see an actor that you recognize and you google the movie and you find out there from a T.V. show that you watched ten years ago.

I couldn't stop thinking about it as Danny and I walked home.